| XXXV |

They ran into Yuma on the third floor at the top of the stairs. Her outfit featured fresh blood spatters, knives glinting in the dim light.

"Took you long enough," she chastised, but Ashelin could tell she'd been having fun. "This way." She waved for them to follow and darted off down the hall.

Vaas didn't ask any questions, and when Ashelin looked back to check on him he had a madly gleeful look in his eyes. She grew warm at the sight, realizing in that moment just how much she'd missed him.

Yuma crashed through the door to the living room where Hoyt and Pagan lounged with their tea.

"There are Pirates everywhere." She strode over and stood protectively next to the King's chair. "I took out as many as I could. But we should go." She wiped her blades on her pants and sheathed them.

"I apologize for the hubbub." Hoyt sighed casually, as if there were nothing out of the ordinary. "But my men are perfectly capable of defending the compound. We can finish our chat."

Ashelin stepped in and shot the privateer next to Hoyt in the face. "I'd like to finish our chat."

Hoyt blinked at her in surprise as the body fell back against the wall, but quickly schooled his expression with an amused smile.

"Well, this is a coincidence." He glanced at Pagan. "You both showing up at the same time. Miss Clarke must have a magical vagina to manipulate two self proclaimed Kings at once."

A shot rang out and Ashelin jumped. Vaas stepped out of the shadows, lowering his gun.

"You should have killed me, hermano," Vaas hissed, and his ex-boss sneered as blood ran from the new scratch on his forehead.

"I'm not your fucking hermano," Hoyt growled, and reached for his gun.

Ashelin leapt forward and stabbed him in the wrist, pinning it to his thigh. He ripped it out with a yell, and lunged for her. She ducked out of the way as Vaas leapt into it, catching the knife blade in his fist.

The pirate King smashed his gun into Hoyt's face, and then shot him in the tricep, causing him to let go of the knife. Blood ran down Vaas' arm as he tossed the blade away, and Hoyt staggered back, clutching his wounded limb.

He looked wildly to Pagan. "You fucking idiot! You're throwing away so much money!"

"Oh, I think I'll be just fine without you." Pagan still sat comfortably in his armchair, Yuma casually leaning on the wall behind him.

Vaas kicked his nemesis in the gut and hauled him to his knees by his hair.

"I want you to apologize to my lady for letting your lackeys manhandle her." He pointed the gun at Hoyt's kneecap.

His gaze was aflame with vengeance, and a thrill danced up Ashelin's spine at the sight.

"Fuck y-" The broken man's reply turned into a scream as his ex-employee shot him.

The door burst open and four Pirates charged through, covered in blood and sweat.

"Boss!" one of them cried.

"I think your army is gone, Hoyt." Ashelin grinned at the seething man in front of her. "But don't worry, we have a place for you."