052

Fifty-Two | For You

I was in the shower, letting the hot water roll down my bare skin.

I felt like I needed to cleanse my body, even though I had no physical blood on me. I felt so much guilt, but a part of me knew killing those witches was the right thing.

Over the sound of the running water, I could hear my phone beeping from in my bedroom. I chose to ignore it.

Bonnie's life was important to not only me but all my friends and if I stood and watched her die, I'd never forgive myself.

I could hear my phone still beeping. I groaned, but continued to let it keep going. But even after I washed my hair, I could still hear it beeping. I washed out the shampoo and got out of the shower.

It was still beeping when I picked it up. There were loads of messages from Klaus saying that he needed my help urgently. I placed the phone down and quickly got dried and dressed.

I grabbed my car keys and got into my car that I hadn't used in a long time. I drove to Klaus' mansion.

I arrived and parked outside. I made my way up the steps and into the mansion. I stopped in the hallway, looking for Klaus. I couldn't see or hear him.

"I got your millions of messages. This better be life and death." I shouted, my eyes scanning around.

"Go away." I heard Klaus yell.

I frowned, "Klaus? Where are you?" I walked into the dining room to my right and saw him shirtless on the floor, leaning against the piano chair, "What happened to you?"

"I need more time. Stop hounding me!" Klaus grumbled.

"I'm hounding you? I was in the freakin' shower." I frowned, holding up my wet hair, "And then I was supposed to go meet Caroline to help her with this prom stuff but you keep messaging me."

"Cassie. Is it really you?" He asked. I looked at him confused, "Prove it to me."

"I don't know if this is some new way of flirting but it sucks, and I have other things to do." I replied. I turned around.

"Wait, please. Silas. He stabbed me with the white oak stake. There's a -- a piece of it stuck inside me." Klaus said, his voice croaking in fear.

I turned back to face him, "Why would Silas attack you?"

"Well, I was in no position to ask questions." He replied.

"And why do you think I'm the person to call for help? After all you've done?" I frowned.

"If I die, you, Stefan, Elena, all of your friends die with me." Klaus said.

I walked closer to him, "You really think I want you to die?"

"It seems like you'd rather that than tell me how you feel." He said.

"I don't think this is a time to talk about that. Look, what do you want me to do?" I asked, staring down at him.

"Well, it's quite simple, really. I need you to cut the stake out of me." Klaus looked down at a pair of bloody pliers lying on the carpet.

I pursed my lips, "Lovely."

▂▂▂▂

I was digging the pliers around inside of Klaus' back. It wasn't very pleasant and I'd been trying for ages, but I couldn't feel any stake inside of him. He seemed to be in serious pain though.

"Oh, my god. You do have a heart." I joked. Klaus screamed in pain as I moved the pliers, "My bad. It's just a bloody rib."

"Well I'm glad you're finding my misery so amusing." Klaus groaned.

"I have to lighten the mood because this is creeping me out. I swear there's nothing in here." I exhaled, "And if you think I'm having fun, you're insane."

"You killed twelve witches for your friend Bonnie. You can't even get your hands a little dirty for me?" He asked.

"Bonnie hasn't killed peoples family members, twelve hybrids, threatened to kill my friends and ran Tyler out of town." I frowned.

"Are we still talking about that?"

"Yes, we are." I moved the pliers deeper into his back. He yelled in pain, slamming his hand on the piano, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Klaus, there is nothing in here but your organs."

"I can feel it. You're not even trying. You want me to suffer, don't you?" He asked angrily, through gritted teeth.

I pulled the pliers out, "I've been trying for fifteen minutes. No, you know what, if you're not even going to be grateful, you can get it out yourself." I slammed the pliers down onto the floor and walked out the room.

▂▂▂▂

I sat on the sofa, flicking through my phone. I could see over the top of my phone that Klaus had managed to pull himself up and was leaning on the back of the sofa opposite.

"I can feel the splinters moving towards my heart. Help me." Klaus groaned.

"Do it on your own, like you do with everything else." I replied, not looking up from my phone, "Caroline says hi, no wait, I read that wrong, it says die."

"Cassie, help me or -- "

"Or what? You'll kill my friends, go ahead. I will never forgive you." I said, looking at him.

"I saved your life." He frowned.

I pushed myself up, "Because you put it in danger. Why can't you just do something decent for once?"

"Because Tyler Lockwood tried to kill me." Klaus whined.

"Everyone has tried to kill you. And you've tried to kill most of them. Why do you think you earn my friendship, let alone my love?" I asked. I turned around to leave but Klaus vamp ran infront of me.

"Don't turn your back on me." Klaus shouted.

"Maybe I should have turned my back on you ages ago." I yelled back. The conversation went silent and we were just standing there, staring at each other.

"It's gone." Klaus said, his voice low.

"What?" I asked.

"The pain. The pain is gone. It was -- it was never there. He got in my head. Silas, got inside my head. You took my mind off it. You brought me back, Cassie." He said, taking my hand.

I looked up at him and frowned, "If Silas can make you, of all people, believe that you're dying. What the hell can he do to the rest of us?"

▂▂▂▂

I walked back into the room Klaus was in, wiping my hands clean on a towel.

"I used all your bleach." I told him. I placed the towel down on the table and started walking away but Klaus grabbed my arm, making me turn back to face him.

"Thank you for helping me." He said, gratefully.

"That's okay." I replied, "Well, if you need anything else, don't call me. I have to help plan a prom."

"Seriously, thank you." Klaus said, "Without your help, I would have gone insane. You didn't have to help but you did."

"Because unlike you, I care." I told him.

"I care." Klaus said.

"For who? Yourself?" I asked.

"For you."