When In Doubt, Harass Kaiba

Scores of letters and numbers spilled across the screen, varying flashes of color against the blank white. Brackets closed in his commands. Commands that were blurring into one another. Seto Kaiba blinked hard. Perhaps another coffee break was needed. Rubbing his fingers into his eyes in attempts to reach the ache behind them, he stood and stretched. A digital clock in the corner of the end screen of the three monitors displayed 11:34pm. It was late. But Kaiba was only getting started. Nonetheless, Mokuba would probably not be pleased with him. They did, after all, still have school.

Why am I even in High School still, he thought blithely. I could have passed those measly exams in my sleep by the time I was twelve.

He certainly would get a lot more work done if that was the case. Originally he had stayed in school so as to give the front of being a mentally healthy teenager to the public as well as his stockholders. Being thought of as not being a fully socially developed person was not the best way of building trust. Not that he would even dare to think of those brats as being socially developed.

This was just getting ridiculous, though. Getting up at 6:30 just to sit around for eight hours doing nothing? And when he had deadlines to make, programs to oversee, hallucinating idiots who saw mainframes turning in to sarcophagi—stuff like that, to do. Perhaps he should reconsider 'graduating' early.

With a small groan, he made his way to the break room just outside his office. The hallway's bright lights and white walls made him wince after spending so long in his dark office. He moved by the scent of coffee beans.

He had just set his coffee to brew when he turned to find a very, very unwelcomed guest.

Swathed in white, linen robes, set with turban and all, stood an Egyptian with very unnerving, strange eyes. A golden ankh shaped key sat at a rest on his chest.

Seto didn't flinch. He didn't even blink. Instead, he folded his arms, leaned against the counter, and drew up his usual scowl.

"You." He said. "Come to spout nonsense, I suppose? Should I even asking how you got past security?"

"I have not come here to argue against your stubbornness." said the Egyptian. "I have come for your help."

Now this Seto had not been expecting. But that didn't change his response. He gave an annoyed grunt and turned back to check on his coffee.

"What is with you random Egyptians thinking you can demand help from me? What, are you going to ask me for a Duel Monsters tournament too? Forget it, I only did that once because it was I wanted to do, not that little bitch's idea."

"The stakes are much higher this time."

Kaiba snorted. "They always are."

"And it is not a tournament I seek. I am seeking a person: a young woman of great importance."

"Oh spare me." He snapped. "The police are who you are looking for. Get out of my sight or I'm calling security."

The Egyptian's eyes narrowed. Was that just him, or had the room's temperature dropped several degrees? He would have to talk to maintenance about that.

Brown fingers lifted up the strange golden key. "Seto Kaiba, you can either help me willingly or have your hand will be forced."

"Was that a threat?"

"This girl also affects you too, Kaiba. It is not just for me. Do you not wonder why strange items from the past have been replacing important objects in your company?"