29 | THE BEYOND

29 | THE BEYOND

SONG PREFERENCE: Willow by Jasmine Thompson

| THE CAPITOL; UNKNOWN |
one month ago

The walls were white, he had first realized when he woke up. The tarnished suit he wore in the arena was burned to a crisp with holes from the acid fog and the electrical lightening tree. He then saw the bars around the white walls, taking note that these bars were almost all around him, like a cage.

He sat up quickly, not caring that he could have a concussion or pass out from the sudden movement. He didn't care. He didn't care because of what he confirmed when he saw the person who was locked opposite him in the cage across from his. He started crawling toward the bars.

Johanna.

Her body was slumped against the one bare wall she had in her cell, a few good cuts scattered around her face, but she was breathing and that's all that mattered. "I wouldn't do that if I were you," she spoke lowly, "they're electric."

He sat back, inching away from the bars. The height of the cell was a good six feet, letting him stand just enough if he wanted to. He rested his elbows on his knees as he squinted at her. The light was blinding inside the room they were in, resembling sunlight reflecting off of fresh snow.

"Where are we?" He asked.

Johanna didn't sound okay, she didn't sound like herself as she answered with a twisted smile in her voice. "Take a guess."

He furrowed his brow in deep concern, and then, as if being hit in the head with a pile of bricks, it came to him. "No." His voice was dark as his heart plummeted in his chest. "No, this isn't right." He murmured. He could feeling his mind reeling. They were supposed to get us out.

Johanna let out a loud chuckle, smirking to herself as she stared across from her at the clumps of hair they took from her head earlier that day. "Let the games begin, Finnick Odair."

***

| DISTRICT 13; ABOVE |

She noticed how fresh the air was above Thirteen compared to the filtered air that went through the ventilation system underground. There was something different about this air; the way it warmed her skin and the smell of new grass mixed into its subtle breezes. Greyson didn't mind it, no, instead she wished she could do this everyday with Katniss and Gale. She wished everyday was just as perfect as this one, where the sun was just beginning to rise and the vegetation was slick wet with dew.

Yet something felt like it was missing, and she couldn't deny that she hadn't thought about wanting to share this moment with Finnick too.

Greyson had suggested that she was better down by the stream where she could teach them to catch fish, instead of using her bow to shoot larger game. Even going into her second month coming out of the arena, she still had nightmares of killing children and fallen victors. She didn't like to use her weapon if only during a life or death situation. Katniss didn't seem to mind.

Katniss was crouched down against a concealing shrub with her arrow ready to fly towards its mark, which happened to be a deer. The creature raised its head in their direction, but didn't run like they had expected it to. Katniss lowered her bow. "It's not even afraid of us," she muttered.