Chapter 11

Zac^

So I procrastinated everything the past week so I'm sorry for the delayed update and I couldn't write it too long so it's a normal sized chapter.

Evan

The last bell of the day struck. First day of hell was officially over.

I packed my stuff for one last time today. It was 2:30pm and I was hungry as fuck.

Contrary to what Zac has been doing all day, he hadn't spoken since lunch break.

Him, Rue, and I were sitting together at lunch, along with another friend of theirs. A guy called Lucas Humming. I thought he was Rue's boyfriend at first, but then he kissed her and I was sure he was.

I was suddenly more popular just because I was sitting at the same table with Zac. Almost everyone at school knows him. He was like their idol. Also apparently Zac was the captain of the football team, so I was slowly regretting the idea of trying out for the team.

Halfway through lunch, Zac's phone went off. He excused himself and went out of the cafeteria to take the call. He came back after about ten minutes, colorless, scowling, and he hadn't spoken since then.

When I asked him what was wrong, he answered with "nothing"  and he looked frustrated. He wasn't fooling me but I didn't push him further about it. I mean after all we were barely friends. Who speak into each other's mouths like it's the most casual thing ever. Well at least that's what Zac's extremely plump kissable lips keep doing.

Rue however, seemed to have an idea of what's going on but she didn't say anything and I didn't ask her. It wasn't my place or hers to speak about it. But I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't dying to know what's going on.

He was pouting. Eyebrows furrowed and staring into nothingness. I kept speaking glances backwards in class. The same lifeless shell. I doubt he even paid any attention to what the teachers were saying.

<><<>><> symmetry<><<>><>

"I was refraining from asking but now I'm genuinely worried. You haven't spoken all day. You haven't even had a different facial expression aside that hollow porcelain face." It was like I was talking into void.
"You're not even listening to me" I thought it was a shout, but it came out as a disappointed hush.

He closed his locker and slung his backpack over his shoulder and sighed. His hand went straight to my cheek and caressed it a bit. I was a little self conscious due to the fact that the halls were crowded - well as crowded as it could get with this small number of students - and I was being touched by "The Zac" the one who everyone who's anyone knows.

"It's nothing for you to worry about" he cracked a broken smile.

"But you're worrying" his smile fell again as I said that.

We didn't speak any further about it.

He probably thought that I don't care about him or what he's going through but I was dying to know and help. If I were no help then what's the point of my existence?

><><><><><><

"Do you have a ride home?" Zac asked after what seemed like a forever period of silence.

"Bye guys!" Rue shouted frim across the parking lot and got in a car which I assumed was Lucas's. Unless it wasn't and she was, well, what Rue does is not the point of this story.

"I'll walk" I turned back to Zac, "it's not that far"

He mounted his motorcycle but he didn't turn it on.

Please don't offer a ride home. Please don't offer a ride home.

"Come on, I'll drive you home" Shit.
I didn't know how to find a non embarrassing way to say it so blunt was the way to go.

"No thanks, I'm good."

"Why not?"

"Umm, just, it's not really necessary. It's like 10 minutes away" A sweep of cold wind swept through us. I liked it and hated it at the same time. It was a weird weather and there didn't seem to be much sun. It was gray skies most of the time.

"It's probably gonna rain so come on stop wasting time and hop along"

"I can't ride with you okay?" I spat. He looked stunned. I never fail to surprise with my attitude.

"Why?"

"It's-"

"Wait don't tell me." he chuckled. "Are you-Are you afraid of motorcycles?" Shit squared.

"Kinda yeah" I answered sheepishly. There was no point in hiding it. "I just get very uneasy when it comes to speed, especially if it's something as open and free as a motorcycle"

"You'll be fine don't worry" He started it and I immediately took a step back.

"No. It never ends well when I'm reluctant about something"

"Alright, Alright. I won't push you" he gave the pedal a small turn and the engine roared.

I put my hand on the scarf and gently took it off. I placed it snuggly around his neck and tugged it in his shirt.

"You're not supposed to give it back you know" he said.

"It's colder on that thing"

He didn't protest like I expected.

"Be careful, and don't hit anymore people who are aimlessly wandering the streets."

Zac laughed for the first time today and I honestly couldn't be any happier. He deserved to be happy. He drove away leaving a thin layer of smoke and dust. I was left alone all by myself.

"I better start walking then" I said to myself and went on my ten minutes journey back home.

<><><><><><>

My phone vibrated.

       *Zaccc: when are we gonna work on the paper*

I had almost forgotten that the history teacher assigned us a paper right on first day.

*Evan: I forgot about it. How about Friday?*

*Zaccc: Friday's cool.*

And that was it.
<><><><><>

Zac was the same the whole week. It was starting to get on my nerves. He was as cold as the weather, yet he'd act weirdly affectionate.

With all his cold dry exterior, his warm hand never failed to touch me here and there. Simple yet beautiful gestures that made my heart melt. Like the way he'd immediately take my hand in his when I sit next to him at lunch. How he'd brush something off my face but take his time feeling my skin under his soft smooth fingers. He made me feel like I was somehow his, even though I wasn't.

Sometimes he'd start playing with my hair in class like it's the most important thing in the world.

Zac

I would play around with his hair like it's the most important thing in the world. When my hands were tugging at his soft locks, I'd forget everything troubling me and feel free. Drowning in a lush pool of clouds. 

I wanted him. But something inside kept telling me that he's not gonna be mine. Maybe it's my health problems, maybe it's something bigger. But the feeling was always there. Like an anchor pulling me down away from every dream I had to be with Evan. He was an angel and I was falling away from his heaven. It wasn't fair but when is life ever?

When he refused to ride behind me on my motorcycle I wanted to squeeze him like a small kid squishing their favorite toy. He looked too cute and his cheeks had this slight blush on them.

I just wished that that feeling would go away and let me be free.