Chapter 2A

STELLAR DATE: 3227162 / 07.28.4123 (Adjusted Gregorian)
LOCATION: Mars Outer Shipyards (MOS)
REGION: Mars Protectorate, Sol Space Federation

"Well, I can see you get right to work."

Tanis looked up from her cup of coffee to see two men entering the sector chief's office where she was finishing up her report with Chief Ian. She spotted four stars on the collar of the man who had spoken and rose before snapping off a salute. "Thank you, sir."

He returned the salute. "I'm Admiral Sanderson and this is Captain Andrews of the Intrepid."

"Impressive work, Major Richards," the captain said.

"Thank you, sir," Tanis replied. "It was a pretty easy decision. Stop them, or get blown up."

"I'm sure there was more to it than that." Captain Andrews gave her a warm smile. The admiral was smiling too, but it was more of a grim, got-a-job-to-do sort of smile. He cast an unreadable look at Captain Andrews as they both sat.

Tanis took a moment to examine the two men as they all got comfortable. Each was older than her; a quick records check showed Admiral Sanderson as having just passed his three-hundred and fiftieth birthday. She already knew of Captain Andrews; he was an old spacer, born over a thousand years earlier. Much of his life had been spent in stasis making the run between Sol and Alpha Centauri. Because he was recently returned from an interstellar journey, none of the images of him were recent and she was somewhat surprised to see visible aging.

<I like him. Seems to be a good choice of a man to run this ship,> Angela commented.

<Yeah, but why is his hair silver?> Tanis asked. <I don't see any medical conditions in his record.>

<Haven't you ever watched old vids?> her AI asked. Angela always liked to flaunt that she knew more about ancient cultures than Tanis.

<Do you mean his hair naturally went grey with age?>

<It still happens sometimes.>

<Why wouldn't he get that fixed?>

<How would I know, you're the human.>

"I didn't expect you two to come down here." Chief Ian of MSF pulled Tanis out of her private conversation as he addressed the captain and admiral. "Though I can't say I'm surprised either."

"Someone tries to detonate a nuke three klicks from where my girl's tied up, you'd better expect I'd come down here." Captain Andrews' expression brooked no argument.

"Will Stevens be joining us?" Admiral Sanderson asked.

Tanis looked up the reference and found that Stevens was the MOS stationmaster. Her TSF security clearances brought up additional data pertaining to several complaints the stationmaster had filed against the Intrepid for incoming shipments causing disruptions on the station.

Tanis suddenly realized she hadn't checked on Patty or Eric. Emergency Response Status would have ID'd the dead, so Tanis accessed their net. The list scrolled over her HUD and she felt her heart drop as their names slid past. She made a note. There should be a memorial for the dead, and she would contact their relatives.

<They didn't serve under you—you don't need to do that.> Angela's tone was soft and comforting. Tanis resisted the urge to retort, knowing the AI was just trying to be supportive in her own way.