Chapter 2B

STELLAR DATE: 3227162 / 07.28.4123 (Adjusted Gregorian)
LOCATION: Mars Outer Shipyards (MOS)
REGION: Mars Protectorate, Sol Space Federation

Commander Evans led her out of the sector security offices and down several corridors before they entered the open space which served as the passenger debarkation area for the Dawn. Several teams were present; a few physical forensics specialists were scanning all surfaces, while net specialists had a few terminals apart, going over hardware for signs of tampering.

The commander bridged Tanis to the security net and she took stock of the teams inside the ship as well. Most of the personnel were station security, with a few GSS and TSF in the mix. Commander Evans sent a beacon out onto the net and addressed the local teams.

"Ladies and gents." He simultaneously spoke and broadcast over the net. "If I can have a moment of your time."

Over the security net she saw all the members stop what they were doing and signal their attention.

"For those of you on the Intrepid's team, I'd like you to meet your new CO, Major Richards. The major is a MICI specialist and will be heading up our unit—a task I am more than willing to turn over to her."

"Thank you, Commander." Tanis took over the 'cast. "For those of you assigned to the Intrepid I look forward to working with you, and for those of you with the MOS I appreciate your attention. I've filed a report with sector security and Commander Evans has also made it available on our security net. You'll note the specifics about the hostiles' weapons and the nuclear device. I also want particular attention paid to how they were able to act with such precise timing. The equipment and software they used to do this is not readily available and the more data we have the sooner we can track them down.

"Dismissed."

"No fanfare?" Commander Evans asked with a smile. She was glad he had let their tense moment slide by. They would most likely be working together for a very long time. Hundreds of years, if all went well.

"They know their jobs. Me wasting their time with speeches won't help get answers," Tanis replied. "Besides, I'm not a huge fan of the new CO that comes in and gets in everyone's way."

Commander Evans chuckled. "I'll be honest, sir. You could be some nasty little toady and I'd still be grateful to hand the reins over to you." He coughed as he glanced at her. Even with her uniform dirty and wrinkled she cut an imposing figure. "Not that you're ahh...nasty at all."

The comment was a bit too familiar, but Tanis found his cocky flyboy behavior amusing. She let him squirm for a moment before letting him off the hook.

"At ease, Commander. I don't take offense easily...well, not normally anyway." She decided it was time to get back on task. "Admiral Sanderson indicated you're to take me to the Intrepid. I assume we have facilities there?"

The commander seemed more than willing to let his gaff slip by. "Yes, sir. Since the radicals started attacking we've been given a full Security Operations Center to help keep an eye on things."

"Lead on, Commander."

He directed Tanis out of the debarkation area toward a maglev train station. They passed through a lack-luster security check and took a high-speed car to the Intrepid's berth. The train accelerated to over a thousand kilometers per hour, speeding down its track in silence. Moments after reaching its top speed, the car passed out into open space and Tanis caught her breath as the Intrepid came into view.