Chapter 20

Chapter 20

I sat stiffly at the Gryffindor table in the great hall, watching as Dumbledore stood up in front of everyone. 

The head table was surprisingly quiet, all their faces grave. I had assumed they had already been told. 

“Students of Hogwarts,” Dumbledore began, taking a deep breath. “There have been.... security breaches, here in Hogwarts, and a very valuable item  has indeed been taken from my office.”

The great hall remained silent, all eyes focused on Dumbledore as he cleared his throat before continuing.

“We do not know how this has come to happen, or why, though if you have any information, please come forward to me after dinner.  Furthermore, we will be spending the next couple of days searching for answers, which also means that you will be spending the next week at home.” 

At this the school broke out into applause, and I couldn’t help but laugh at the enthusiasm.

“Additional information will be posted in you common rooms. Enjoy.” Dumbledore nodded once as food appeared on the table, the whispers of students echoing among the walls of the great hall.

“Someone broke into Dumbledore’s office!”

“We get to go home for a few days!”

“I hope this doesn’t damage our grades!”

“I wonder who did it...” 

I frowned slightly, looking down at my plate and picking at the food, not feeling all too hungry.

“Lily?” I heard Harry’s voice interrupt my thoughts, and I looked up at him.

“What?”

“Any idea of what’s going on??” He asked, and I paused before slowly shaking my head.

“No.” I lied, and Harry nodded, though he looked slightly suspicious as he turned back to Ron and Hermione, and I went back to the food.

I couldn’t tell him, because then he would wonder how I knew. And if I told him I knew because Snape told me, he would ask why Snape told me. And if I told him why Snape told me, he’d wonder why I was with Snape in the first place, and everything would go downhill from there.

~~

Later that night I walked into the common room to see a group of Gryffindor’s surrounding the post board, looking at the details. 

“We’re leaving tomorrow.” Neville told me as he shrugged his way out of the crowd, and I nodded.

“Great.” I let out a sigh, and Neville shrugged.

“We should only be gone for a week or two- it can’t be that bad.”

“I know. But I’m behind in school work already, and-” I started, but Neville put his hands on my shoulders.

“Lily. Relax. It’s going to be fine.” He said, and I sighed.

“I know.” I nodded, taking a deep breath. Neville smiled.

“Good. You’ll write, right?” He asked after a moment, and I grinned, nodding.

“Of course Neville.” I chuckled, and he grinned crookedly.

“Good. I should go pack, but hopefully I’ll see you before we leave tomorrow.” He smiled before disappearing, walking up to the boy’s dormitories.

Sighing, I walked up to my own dorm, opening my trunk and piling all my belongings inside. I wasn’t particular unhappy about leaving Hogwarts for a week- it would be great to see Sirius, Remus, Caiden and Mrs. Weasley- but I wasn’t thrilled either. I’d miss Neville, Severus, and Dumbledore.