Chapter Sixteen

Jess decided, that after a few days, she would not be leaving her room. Ever again. She would live out her days as a hermit, spotting off of Katie and Jen until lack of communication killed her or Tony Stark broke her window and forced her to interact with him. Hopefully, she thought, that would not happen any time soon. 

Jessica wouldn't talk to anyone, not even Katie and Jen, and her phone was turned off. Hidden somewhere in the back of her closet. Katie only came into Jess's room to check on her, which meant that she was making sure that Jess ate her food but Katie never pushed on the matter. Jess guessed that Katie was waiting for her to talk on her own terms and Jess was ever so grateful for that. Jen, on the other hand, decided to knock on Jess's door every day at one o'clock in the afternoon, begging Jess to tell her what was wrong. That never really worked anyway. 

Sometimes, Jess questioned why she stayed in her room. She questioned life and all the reasons why she didn't just run away to live in a secluded area where she couldn't hurt anyone anymore but it all came down to her just feeling stuck.

"Jess?" Katie whispers while opening Jess's bedroom door. Jess pulls herself back into reality but doesn't turn away from the window. Slowly, Katie walks into the room with two steaming mugs, she hands one to Jess before settling down next to her. "Look, I know I settled on letting you talk when you were ready, but we're worried about you. Really worried." 

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you." Jess finally replies. Her voice cracked with lack of use. 

"Try me." Katie orders. 

"I secretly joined SHIELD and am working with the Avengers, who helped me find my father." Jess spits out. Slowly, she turns to look at Katie's taken aback expression.

"I thought you were going to say that your cat died." Katie whispers.

"I don't have a cat." Jess scoffs.

"Yeah, but that's the most logical explanation that someone would be acting this way." Katie waves her off. "I...most people don't lie about this stuff." 

"I'm not lying." She replies.

"Of course you're not." Katie rolls her eyes as she slides off the bed. "When you want to talk about what's really going on, I'm open." 

"You know that I have powers." Jess calls, causing Katie to stop near the door. "I have a suit and everything, it's in the closet." 

Slowly, Katie turns toward the closet door and opens it. She looks around and sees the black material underneath Jess's boots and duffel bag. She bends down and looks under the flap of the bag and flinches when she sees the guns and other weapons. 

"I'll explain everything." Jess bargains. "Just...I can't lie to you anymore, Katie." 

AVENGERS TOWER

"Why haven't you called her, Stark?" Steve inquires while coming into the lab, most of the Avengers behind him.

"What am I supposed to say?" Tony scoffs while rolling his arm, he had sprained his shoulder pretty bad during the fight.

"Something like 'I hope you're okay and I'm willing to talk if you need me.'" Alex offers. "Chicks dig that stuff."

"If she's anything like me, she won't share anything." Tony rolls his eyes. "And I don't even have her number."

"I'm pretty sure you could find it." Natasha quips while crossing her arms.

"And I have it." Seth offers while waving his phone in the air. "I actually, from spending time with her, know the perfect way to get her here."

"Seriously?" Ian raises his eyebrows, already knowing what Seth was thinking. "That's cruel." 

"What? She'll come right away." Seth shrugs.

"What are you planning to do?" Damien inquires while narrowing his eyes. "Seth, I swear to Thor." 

Apartment 

"Jess." Katie takes a deep breath while placing her hands in front of her. "You do realize how crazy that sounds, right?"

"You said you'd believe me." Jess argues.

"I did not say that I didn't." Katie holds her hand in the air. 

"But you're implying it!" She whines. 

"Yes." Katie nods. "But, come on, Jess. Your brother? Your father? All in the same day? I just..."

"I also jumped off a balcony when I figured out the news apparently." Jess adds with a small shrug. 

"You did what?" Katie shrieks. "What the hell is wrong with you?!" 

"So you believe that but you can't believe the concept of me finding my father?" Jess scoffs. 

"Well, it's far-fetched." Katie purses her lips. "There's a one in a million chance that you are Tony's daughter, that this Coulson came to talk to you, and that your brother found you after all this time." 

"I know." Jess shakes her head. "But how can I prove it to you?" 

"Give me a tour of the tower." Katie states.

"Where you even listening?" She demands. "I left because of all the problems and Chris. I won't be able to go back in without it being awkward and horrible and-"

"Okay okay." Katie interrupts. "It was just a suggestion, give me a minute to think of something else." 

AVENGERS TOWER

"This is getting sad." Alex mumbles to Damien as they both look over at Seth, who was struggling on how to send a text on his iPhone, while the rest of the team awkwardly waited around the lab for him.

"Tell me about it." Damien mutters. "I don't know who's worse, him or his father..."

"That's a hard decision." Alex whispers, Sethsighs in frustration before turning to the boys.

"I can hear you, you know that right? I have ears!" He scoffs.

"I do as well." Steve coughs while raising his hand in the air.

"Calm yo'self Cap Jr." Damien grumbles before walking over to stand  next to the frustrated boy. "Now let me help you before you hurt yourself."

"Very funny." 

Apartment

"Okay. How about you call Coulson." Katie offers. "Don't say anything just dial and ditch." 

"You don't know who he is, what would that do?" Jess groans.

"I don't know! I'm running low on ideas here!" She whines while throwing her hands in the air. 

"You're hopeless." Jess whispers with a small chuckle. Katie opens her mouth to protest but a phone buzzing continuously cuts her off. 

"Is that coming from your closet?" Katie raises her eyebrows. 

"No." Jess purses her lips. Katie rolls her eyes and quickly walks back to the door, she pulls it open and moves the stuff around until she grabs Jessica's phone. 

"Seriously?" She raises her eyebrows.

"I didn't want to talk to anyone!" Jess whines. Katie shakes her head and looks down at the flood of messages. "How is that even on? I turned it off!" 

"Doesn't matter." Katie denies while shoving the screen towards Jess's face. "If your story is true, then I think your brother got out."

Emergancy at the tower, blood everywhere.

Come quick