Fourteen

(Iris' P.O.V.)

Christmas was just around the corner, and Iris was packing up to go home. A loose yellow sweater left one of her shoulders bare as she pushed her blonde hair out of her face and pushed the rest of the stuff into her trunk. 

Smiling to herself, she ran down the stairs to meet Cedric. She had invited him to her house for Christmas after her parents had expressed their wishes of seeing him again. He was standing in front of the fire keeping warm while he waited for her. Temperatures had plummeted and inside the castle was practically just as cold as outside.

She was so full of the Christmas spirit that she forgot about the awkwardness about them and she jumped right into his arms. He wrapped his arms around her and she hugged him tightly. He buried his face in her hair and closed his eyes.

Iris pulled back suddenly, blushing red and she began to blabber, "Are you ready to go? All packed? My parents are excited to see you, and my little sister will be annoying as always, but we will still have a good time. I've been invited to a New Year's party by some of my Muggle friends back home, so we can go if you want."

"Iris." He chuckled. "Of course I'm ready to go. I'm looking forward to seeing your parents, and I'm sure we can avoid your sister as much as possible. Now let's go."

~~~

Stepping off of the train, Iris was grabbed into a tight hug by her mum. When she finally let go, her dad pulled her into an even tighter hug.

"Dad! Can't breathe."

Her dad pulled away and said, "Sorry, we just missed you a lot when you were gone. Cedric! Hey, haven't seen you in a while, you've gotten taller."

"Uh, yeah I had a bit of a growth spurt. I think I'm taller than my dad now. I've always been taller than Iris though."

"Hey! Don't make fun of my shortness. Just because some of us aren't giants doesn't mean we're short."

"Yeah, but you're exceptionally short."

"Five foot isn't that short. . .okay, maybe it is."

"Don't worry, Iris. Being short is good. It means that I'll always look down on you."

"Oh you're going to regret saying that, Cedric Diggory." Iris growled, and Cedric, being the wise young man that he was, ran for the hills.

~~~

"They're cute." Her mum commented quietly, watching her daughter chase the boy around the train station, laughing her head off.

"I always said they were meant for each other when they were younger. Looks like I was right. I wonder when the wedding is." Her father chuckled.

"Don't you dare say anything. They're both oblivious idiots, and I doubt they realize that they both like each other."

"Ah, fine. I'll let things work out in time. But you have to admit. He'll be a nice son-in-law." 

Her mum nodded in agreement and they both smiled at the two teens.

~~~

Christmas day rolled around and all the kids woke up early. Well, Cedric and Daisy did. Iris liked sleeping in on vacation, and she was still locked in her room.

But that wouldn't last long. Cedric burst into the room and jumped on the bed, shaking Iris awake.

"Come on, get up! It's Christmas, Iris. Get your butt out of bed, lazy."

"Ugh." She rolled over and pulled the covers over her head. There was a moment of silence and she was hoping he had left, but then someone touched her side and she jumped, letting out a little shriek.

And then Cedric was tickling her, and she was laughing breathlessly. "Stop, stop! I'm up now. I'm up!"

"Oh, I don't know. Tickling you is kind of fun when you react like this. But I guess we need to open presents before Daisy gets bored with hers." And then he picked her up, carrying her down to the living room bridal style. 

Her parents exchanged annoyingly knowing looks, and she blushed furiously, trying to beat him off. "Put me down, Ced." She whined.

He grinned mischievously and tossed her on the couch. She shrieked again and growled out, "Oh, you've done it this time, Diggory. You're so dead." 

And then he was running for his life out into the snow covered yard in his pajamas and she was chasing after him barefoot, not caring how the snow burned her feet. The neighbors were staring, and the old couple across the street were smiling knowingly out of their living room window.

It was the best Christmas she had ever had.

~~~

New Year's Day was upon them, and both teens were nervously getting ready for the night. Both of them were thinking about what happened at midnight, and whether they were going to be brave enough to kiss the other.

Iris was wearing a dark red and silver dress, and Cedric was wearing nice pants and a long sleeve shirt. She was wearing black sneakers instead of heels, because she wanted to enjoy the night.

~~~

When they arrived the party was in full swing, and Iris pulled Cedric out to the dance floor immediately. 

When the countdown started, Cedric looked down at her as they counted. When it struck midnight she looked up at him, and suddenly neither of them could resist. He leaned down and she went up on tiptoe, and their lips met gently.

They were both glad they hadn't had anything to drink, because they wanted to remember that moment.

~~~

Dearest Cedric,

I wish that kiss hadn't been a one time thing. I want to be able to kiss you everyday. But you were just caught up in the moment, and you probably feel weird about it again. We won't talk about it, because that would be awkward and we can't have that.

I'm so scared. The Second Task is in a month and I don't know what to do. I wish you had never entered the damn contest. I just want you to be safe. Is that too much to ask?

Love,

Your 'Ris