►Chapter Twenty◄

There's something about the dark that both fascinates and depresses me. No light can seep through, but you feel all alone in a world without hope. Or maybe that was just me being too deep.. That particular night, the clouds made my surroundings look far more menacing than they had been the last time I snuck out. It was darker, colder, and lonelier, and it felt especially so when I was sitting alone with my back against the school building.

Maybe he's not going to show up.

I took out my phone and checked the time, feeling slightly relieved with myself after finding out that it wasn't even midnight yet. Either way though it didn't really matter, because I'd wait forever just to be able to speak to him again. It turns out that I didn't have to wait that long, as Kenny himself was a little early a well.

"Hey," he greeted, casually walking up to me with his hands tucked into the pockets of his parka.

I smiled shyly at him. "Hi-a Ken!" I responded, playing with my fingers. "S-so, uh, why'd you wanna meet up?"

"I just..." he paused, glancing to his left and shrugging his shoulders ever so slightly. "I guess I just wanted to be with you.."

Two emotions went through my body in that moment; the first, and most obvious, being excitement. I was so gosh darn happy that he wanted to be around me of all people that the second emotion I had experienced didn't even register until after my face began to cool down. Suspicion was the next thing on that list. You see, Kenny and I hardly ever spoke to one another before I was kind of forced to do so, and the fact that he wanted to talk to me was something new. "Wh-why is that, fella?"

A flash of a smile appeared across Kenny's face, only to return to the serious expression he had beforehand almost instantly. Walking closer to me, he put his hand on the top of my head and started ruffling my hair affectionately. "I'm stupid. If you could only realize that, then maybe you wouldn't like me so much anymore."

"Wh-what? What're you saying, Kenny? You're real smart! I know it! I've watched you since we were children! You could figure everything out so easily and you're always so cool! That's part of the reason I love you, and why I continued this graffi-"

My sentence was interrupted by something I never thought would happen in a million years. At some point during my explanation on how amazing he was, Kenny had turned the ruffling of my hair into him simply running his fingers through it, and before I could say that I love him he captured my lips with his.

It's a trick! He's trying to trick you, push him away! Butters, don't be such a freaking idiot!

Even though I wanted so badly to get him off of me, my body wished for something completely different. I was just about to wrap my arms around him and give in when there was an awkward cough from behind me.

"Uhh.. Kenny? Butters? What're you two doing here?"

Right after my ears picked up on Kyle's voice, I gained the courage to actually get myself away from Kenny, though by that point he was stepping away from me himself. Instantly my hands shot to my face and the heat was even warming my fingers because of how hot my face was. I was flustered and nervous and nothing was going right for me.

"I don't know, what does it look like?" Kenny asked with a smirk, pulling me close so that my face was buried into his chest. Kyle was still behind me. I wasn't sure if Stan was accompanying him or not since I still hadn't turned around.

"You two weren't seriously hooking up behind school!" came Stan's voice.

I couldn't see them, but I could tell by their tones that they were a mixture of confused and suspicious. "Yeah dude, you were supposed to be on the lookout."

"I was, but I thought I'd bring my boyfriend along. You two do it all the time," Kenny commented. My face heated up ever more and I clutched onto his jacket uncomfortably.

Boyfriend.

"Wha- No - this is different! Butters isn't even a part of this! He shouldn't even know about this, for all we know he could be the -"

"Calm down, calm down," laughed Kenny, his grip around me tightening. I could hear his chuckles erupting inside of his chest and it wasn't making me feel any better, though his laugh was insanely gorgeous. "He's got nothing to do with it. We were together on a round before and afterwards we found out the vandalizer had done something. Trust me, it isn't Butters."

There was a moment of silence. I just stood there, clutching onto Kenny, who had just claimed that we were in the same type of relationship as Stan and Kyle. It wasn't true, so why on earth was he lying like that? I snuck a glance up at him, but he was watching the other two. He wasn't even paying attention to me, so I continued to admire his facial features.

Then Stan spoke up. "Alright. Just don't get distracted."

"Oh you mean like how you two 'get distracted'?" chuckled Kenny.

"Oh shut it! Come on Stan!" I could hear their footsteps, going from loud to barely even within earshot anymore, and once they completely disappeared Kenny released me.

"I'm sorry about that.." he said, shoving his hands into his pocket and giving me a sort of half smile. I stared at my feet, staying quiet. It was too good to be true, there just had to be something else going on.. "You were talking about the graffiti and I heard them coming.. I didn't know how else to get you to be quiet."

"Eric already knows.." I whisper, staring at my feet. "I-It doesn't matter anymore..."

"What? No he doesn't. The Hell made you think that?" he asked me with a shocked expression. I looked up at him, but I couldn't really speak because of  the tears I was trying to choke down. Everything was piling on top of me and I didn't know what to do. The only thing that was keeping me in the least bit calm was being able to look at Kenny's almost glowing face. He was so handsome and amazing and... Nothing like me.. "Butters, what's wrong? Did Cartman threaten you or something?"

I didn't say anything. All I did was nod my head. By that point I couldn't hold it in anymore, and instead of trying to keep myself back I began to cry like the defenseless baby I always have been.