one

Leaving my apartment, I slammed the door behind me and walked out of the door, my bag of psychologist tools swinging next to my quick legs, as they led me to the elevator, which drew me down to the bottom floor of my apartment home

I smiled and nodded to the person at the front desk when I reached the bottom floor - Sarah, - and she smiled back, her glasses flashing in the sunlight that peeked out through the large windows around the welcoming atmosphere of the place I, and about 20 different people, lived.

I was a psychologist, especially for married couples, who happened to be having a problem with their relationship. I was young, and that's what made customers so interested in me. Although some doubted I had the knowledge to be a psychologist of this topic, since I had never had a problem with my husband, not that I ever had one, or even had a boyfriend, what kept customers coming, was my ability to see things at a new angle.

My customers believed I had such a surprising point of view of things, whether it was what my beliefs were, or how I carried myself. They thought I was so adverse when it came to love. Either way, I earned money, and at the end of the day, that's what I was happy to get.

I was professional, and I loved my job, even though I never understood the meaning of wanting, or desiring anything in a relationship, or really anything.

I was so professional, I never talked about my personal life, unlike Delilah, one of my co-workers, who would never shush about how her seven cats were doing. I could never understand the human desire, how was I supposed to fathom love for an animal? It was all rubbish to me, but I never let anyone know that.

I also never let anyone know about the weird dreams I had been having.

I figured it was because of my job, being around so many married couples, that this had happened. I had dreams of this guy, whispering in a voice that I could never tell where it was coming from, telling me one thing, over and over again.

"People die...
Beauty fades...
Love changes...
You will always be alone, my dear...
Unless..."

It was that same sentence, every night, that made me toss and turn in my bed, questioning my beliefs and ideas. But as I said, I believed it was all because of my job, and the atmosphere of people I was around so much.

I had no intention of getting married, anyway.

But the unless... what did that mean?

No, I was reading into it too much, it was simply a stupid reoccurring dream that was deviating me from real life problems that I should be focusing on, such as my job.

I walked into my job building and nodded at the waiting room people, who sat, in my opinion, in ugly uncomfortable green chairs, giving death stares to their, what I assumed, their partners.