Chapter 3

OKAY THIS CHAPTER WILL HAVE SOME (ALOT) OF REFERENCES TO BOOK ONE SO EITHER GET MAD OR ENJOY BUT I PROMISE YOU WONT SEE ALOT OF THEM.

"Grandma, that's your 5th bowl of Five Flavor Soup" I say, making her chuckle.

"When you get to be my age, you don't really care on what you eat, so I enjoy it" Grandma teases as she grabs another bowl of soup.

"Great advice Grandma."

"That's what I do" she snickered. Even as an old woman, she found a way to act like a kid.

Suddenly her laughing stopped and her eyes locked onto my necklace.

"I see you're still wearing that" she spoke, causing me to nod. "Remember when you two had to leave to go back to Republic City? Grandpa gave it to me and told me it would keep the three of us connected" I explained.

"I remember when Sokka made that, after he proposed, he realized that he was supposed to make a betrothal necklace, but I said the rings were just enough, so he kept it" Grandma spoke, before a faint smile appeared yet again.

"Dakota, there's something I want to give to you, and I know Sokka would agree, follow me" Grandma spoke before getting up from her chair.

Following her, we walked through the temple before we appeared at a door, causing me to assume it was her room.

Opening the door, she led me in. As I did, I saw pictures upon pictures of her, Sokka, Katara, Aang, Toph, Zuko, Hakoda, Saki, an old man I don't know and a woman and man.

"Who's this?" I ask as I hold up a photo of the man and woman. "Oh! Dakota, that's your mother and father" Grandma says before pulling out a box. My fingers traced along the outline of my mothers face. While she had Grandpa's eyes and hair, she had Grandma's skin tone. My father on the other hand, who shared a dark hair color and eye color with my mother, he had darker skin than her, which was passed to me.

"Your mother, June was an earthbender, and Toph made sure she was a metalbender and I tried to teach her sandbending." Grandma explained.

"Your father on the other hand was a waterbender, and constantly tried to woo June with his skills. You know, he was a child prodigy, maybe it passed down to you" Grandma smiled.

"What was his name?" I asked, urging to know.

"His name was Noatak" Grandma responded, causing me to smile faintly. "When June was pregnant with you, Noatak and June were with Katara all the time, Sokka made sure of it. However, one night, your father went out to get some food...and he went missing." Grandma chocked.

"Toph and the police found a body that matched his a few months later. Your mother was devastated, and when you were born, she already had so much pain inside her, it was too much" she finished, causing me to look at my feet.

"I'm sorry Dakota, I needed to tell you" Grandma spoke,  pulling the box onto her bed.

"No, thank you Grandma, it helps..knowing what they look like and who they were" I whisper, wiping the tears that formed in my eyes.

"Your mother was always smiling and laughing, just like Sokka, however, she could be very serious and fierce, along with stubborn. Noatak on the other hand was kind, but he never really opened up to Sokka and I. He stayed, almost distant and cold, almost making him rude. But June fell for him and he fell for her".

"Thank you" I whispered, feeling like I know more about my parents than I ever have.

"Now, let's look inside of here" she whispered as she opened the box.

On top, covering everything, sat a drawing of a girl in a wedding dress, and her groom. "Is this my parents?" I ask, causing Grandma to shake her head "No darling, that was my wedding".

Smiling, I set down the drawing carefully and looked inside the box.

Inside, sat a wolf helmet, which Grandma picked up and held to her closely. "The day the Hundred Year War ended and I fought with the White Lotus, your Grandpa gave this to me, and it's been with me ever since" she smiled fondly.

I pulled out a bundle of rocks, in which Grandma rose her hand, which caused the rocks to latch onto her hand as a glove.

"My father..used to use this when he was in the Dai Li" she explained before launching them back into the box.

My eyes stayed on her arm, where an old scar sat. I still remember Grandpa talking about it, saying it was Grandma Mika's battle scar and it made her look strong.

He was right, she looked like a warrior.

Finally, my eyes landed on a metal stick.

My mouth dropped open, it was the boomerang. Grandpa's boomerang. Looking over to Grandma, I'm left speechless.

"Even though you can bend, I want you to have this, so when there's not any water around, you can still fight with pride" Grandma whispered.

"I don't know what to say, thank you so much" I said before embracing her tightly.

--------------------------------

Later that night, I sat in my room, holding the boomerang.

I gripped the handle, and swearing I could feel the indents and nicks from the constant use it faced.

"I was just a guy with a boomerang, now you're just a girl with magic water and a boomerang" a voice whispered, making me look up.

And I swore I caught a glimpse of Grandpa.