Wattpad Original
There are 7 more free parts

5

"We're here!" Both of them took a minute to at least fix themselves and their hurricane blown hair. A hundred meters of the school's circle, carpeted with grass, from the forest border, a ringing bell, and a lively chatter reached Gabbi despite the distance. Minutes later, people spilled out of the enormous brick building. People her age rush with laughter, gossip, and frowns as school finished. Those with clubs gathered by the schoolyard and cliques stuck together.

"Look at them." Restlessness and envy traced Tyler's voice. "Aren't they amusing?"

He was right; they are amusing to watch. "Where are we?"

"Iverfield High, the town's public and only high school. It's the closest from the manor so..." He shrugged.

"How close?"

"Dunno exactly... 30 miles? More or less. I come here to watch when I'm bored."

Gabbi did not comment on his rebellion. Living with the Roșus for days now, Gabbi had concluded that the youngest Roșu is not supposed to be frolicking out the manor walls, although she did not know the reason. "They're having fun," she said instead.

"Yeah. But the last time I came, it was more fun. Some guys were duking it out. Human boys and girls fight for petty reasons. They punch each other, pull hair, scream... all for differences that don't matter. Pitiful, really."

"But you still come back and watch them."

"I do. Damien found out one time, that ass, and told Marcus. I don't come here when I'm hungry, though. I might, you know... drink. How about you, do you like school?"

"I... I don't really know." A particular group caught her interest—beautiful girls gathered by a wooden table, glancing at boys practicing rugby. One guy succeeded a touchdown, and the girls giggled. Although she was told often that she looked younger to be seventeen, they were probably her age or younger.

"What you don't know?"

"If I like school... I've been homeschooled. I haven't..."

"You didn't go to school?!" He even gasped as his mouth formed an 'O' at the abomination she declared. "I never knew that!"

It's not like she wanted to tell anyone. "We just met, not just a week ago."

Tyler paused, eyes on her, then he blinked rapidly as if processing what she said. Then he nodded. "Ah, right, we just met." He cleared his throat. "I went to school. Although it was..." he mumbled as he counted the years and gave up. "...Long time ago, at least I did." He patted Gabbi in pity. "You never skipped class? Cowered when the teacher calls you to solve something on the board? Crammed when your homework is forgotten? Cheated on tests? Had an affair with your teacher?"

The last one was scandalous, but Gabbi just shook her head. For a homeschooler, they said her lessons were advanced for children her age at that time. They were killed just before she was about to study 'harder things,' as her mother said.

"Do you want to try?"

"No." Despite her education record, she's not ignorant. She knew something about school too, heard from people and read from books. 'School is where a sprout is molded to rise towards the sun,' one of the girls at Casa Belle told her once, the only girl who wooed her patron to send her to college. 'You can never rise towards the sun. You'll rot in the soil until you die,' one girl replied. And so the two pulled each other's hair and was reprimanded.

"Come on, Gabbi." Tyler woke her from a short memory. He raised his pointer finger for a childish gesture. "Just once."

Although she got nothing more to lose because she was already dragged by his whims, Gabbi considered a big factor. She looked down on her sleeved dress, frilly neckline of lace and length down her knee. Her clothes were courtesy of the rich yet outdated wardrobe in Damien's room. Then he looked up to Tyler to make a point. Well, he does resemble a high schooler; dark blue hood, jeans, and black sneakers. While she looked like a noble from the past century.

"Next time," she lied. "When my clothes are... modern."

The revival of his naughty smile meant an additional cross on her list of violations. "Stay here." And he was gone. Gabbi had no choice but to wait under a tree. A few more seconds, she heard wings and the shriek of a bat. Kuro hung on a branch directly above her and screeched. On her own, her lips curled to a smile as she waved to it, but quickly composed herself in self embarrassment.

Tyler announced his return minutes later with a pair of grey gym clothes and shoes. "'Ssup Koro!" He handed Gabbi the stolen loot. "It would fit you, yup. I'm good at measurements." He even winked and turned his back. "Hurry. Hurry!"

She had no choice but to change clothes behind a tree trunk. "Something's missing." He stretched her cheeks for a forced smile after his examination. Tyler nodded with satisfaction. "That's more like it; you look like a reckless high schooler now." He held out his hands. "Shall we?"

She took it. She'd never done this before, and now, even following along a vampire that's supposed to be grounded.

"Koro, you stay here, boy, and watch over her clothes." Then they were gone.

After Tyler carried her in his arms, they reached the second floor, almost vacated by people. He put her down, cautiously opened the door, then entered as quietly as possible.

Gabbi feasted upon the smell of books, chairs, walls, and everything that took up space. Outside the open window, she could hear voices of cheerleaders shouting in unison about school spirit. But her thoughts were interrupted by Tyler poking her shoulder and his finger on his lips as a gesture of silence. She did so and realized what he meant.

"We're not alone," he whispered—moans and sounds of lips locking and then movement under the teacher's desk. Tyler grinned like the devil. He followed the sound quietly all the way to the teacher's desk. "Watch this," he mouthed and slammed his hand on the table.

A woman whimpered, followed by a cursing masculine voice. Two figures emerged from behind the teacher's desk after some rustle of clothes and a string of curses mixed with Tyler's chuckles.

"What the hell, man!" the guy yelled as he put on his shirt. Beside him was a woman buttoning her shirt with a face as red as a tomato. Her golden curls were tousled into a mess.

Tyler, who was the only one having a blast, snickered. "Look at these children, Gabbi, fornicating in a place of learning." He laughed. "This generation is really bold. Of all places, here."

"Son of a—!" The boy charged with his fist.

Tyler caught with ease and grinned. "Son of what?"

There was a stalemate as Tyler and the guy's palms connected, both pushing through. But it was the guy who gritted his teeth, and veins bulged on his neck in a struggle. The girl has long fled in shame. Tyler let the fist go and flicked his fingers on the boy's forehead. It was weak, but the boy's eyes flickered to white, and he fell unconscious.

"Is he dead?" she asked, worried at the still body.

"Don't worry, he just passed out." Tyler stretched his hand for a warm-up. "Now, where do we go next?"