A Plane Ride

“I thought you said you wanted to spend Thanksgiving with your brother?” Sara groaned. “My family isn’t that great, you don’t want to meet them. Can’t we just stay here instead? We could make dinner and cuddle and stay home. It’s a lot of pressure to put on you, having to deal with Thanksgiving and my family? Really, we don’t have to. I’d rather stay here.” Sara mumbled into my chest.

                I chuckled and kissed the top of her head. We were lying down on my bed when I brought it up, going to see her parents. Her response was to complain playfully and press into me some more. “I want to see them.” I said. “I’m in love with their daughter and they’ve never met me? Seems odd, doesn’t it?”

                “Can’t we go another time?”

                “I don’t want to wait any longer to meet the creators of such a wonderful woman.”

                “You’re so weird.”

                “But you love me.” I said, smiling a little more.

                “Of course I do.”

                Cooper chose that moment to jump on the bed and walk all over us until he found the best position to lick us repeatedly. She buried her face in my chest to avoid Cooper’s tongue. “What about Coop? We can’t just leave him here.” She said, laughing quietly.

                “Jan will be more than happy to watch him for a few days.”

                “Why do you want to go so bad all of a sudden?” She asked.

                “I want to meet them. We don’t talk about them a lot and you don’t talk to them a lot, and I’ve never talked to them. Have you told them about me?” I asked. I didn’t want to think about if she was ashamed of me or not, but I guess I wanted to know.

                “Of course I’ve told them about you! And they want to meet you too; it’s just that I don’t want the pressure of Thanksgiving and meeting them and all of that to take away from anything.” She reached around and found my hand, squeezing it gently. “I love you, and I want you to meet them as much as I want to meet your parents, but we don’t need to rush if you don’t want to. I don’t mind staying here if you want to, you don’t have to.”

                “I know I don’t have to.” She doesn’t want pressure on me about the holidays and meeting them for the first time put together? She had no idea how much pressure I was feeling about this meeting, and Thanksgiving had nothing to do with it. “I want to, Sara. I really do.” She sighed heavily and I said, “Besides, I already called them and bought the tickets.”

                “What?” She looked up at me, the shock visible, but she didn’t seem angry, which was good.

                “I called them and said that I was Devon, your girlfriend, and I thought that it would be nice to finally meet them and that I wanted to surprise you with a trip back home sometime. I brought up that Thanksgiving was coming up, and they suggested we stay with them. Our flight is Tuesday and then we’ll leave on Sunday. They said that they miss you and would be more than happy to see us.” I pulled her up from my chest so I could look at her better. “You mean a lot to me, and I love you so much. I want to meet them, I want to see your home, I want to meet your dog and I want to laugh with your parents about how you were as a kid. I want to shake your dad’s hand and hug your mom goodbye. I want to see how you smile when you step back into California and see your parents. So I bought the tickets and we’re going.”