Dinner and a movie...in that order

“This is a great sirloin, Rachel” The mistress cooed.

“You’ve certainly out done yourself” Dad smiled jovially.

“Why thank you” Mom nodded politely.

When were they all going to cut the faking and admit how much they didn’t want to be here? We were all sat at the dinner table, minus Sam who was staying in a hotel because her father wasn’t comfortable with her sharing a room with a boy, and I was getting sick of everyone trying to smile and nod like there wasn’t a giant elephant in the room AKA Ashton. Mom sat at the head of the table with Ashton, dad, and Talia flanking her on one side and Me, Elliot and Seth on the other.

“So, what do you do?” Elliot finally spoke. He stared at Ashton with intense scrutiny. I caught him turn to me and subtly smirk before knowing exactly what this night was about to become.

“Well, right now I’m going back to school so I can get a degree in English and hopefully, one day, becoming an author myself” Ashton beamed. I couldn’t deny how pretty she was. She had long straight blonde hair, a ski slope nose, full lips, and a, I hate to admit, megawatt smile. On the other hand, she had an annoying voice and chewed with her mouth open. How weren’t those deal breakers for dad?

“School…like where you were a couple of years back?” I inquired politely.

“Yes” She replied. I couldn’t even believe the age gap that separated us! I wasn’t one hundred percent sure but I was almost solid that she was only 21.

“So how does it feel?” Elliot asked conversationally.

“What?” She smiled cutting into a potato.

“Being able to legally drink” I giggled.

“Uhm…its okay I suppose” She said confused. Dad looked at me with furrowed eyebrows but I quickly looked to Talia who was shaking her head at us.

“Please excuse my siblings and their disrespectful questions” she announced to Ashton who seemed to breathe with relief.

“Thank you, Talia” Dad smiled taking a sip of wine.

“They just want to get to know the home wrecker who came in and destroyed our family with a twirl of her extensions” Talia said maintaining her smile. Dad choked on his wine and continued coughing, while a shocked Ashton tried to help him. Mom sat at the head looking at him impassively.

“Talia!” dad gasped.

“Pardon me father” Talia gently hit her hand.

“How dare you say such a thing, Talia?” Elliot gasped audibly, “You forgot to mention how our lying father just went along with her, despite her practically being underage and subsequently jailbait”

“I apologize for that” Talia pouted.

All the adults were staring, shocked, at the show before them.

“That is enough!” I yelled slamming my hands on the table. Six pairs of eyes turned to stare at me.

“You also failed to mention the three kids he screwed over!” I laughed like what I was saying was hilarious. Soon Trish and Elliot began scoffing.

“How stupid of me!” Talia giggled hysterically.

“You guys didn’t even talk about how he cheated on his wife…with an intern and didn’t say a word until she showed up pregnant, at his door!” Elliot wiped a fake tear, “Why isn’t anyone mentioning how cowardly he is?”

“STOP IT NOW!” I heard a loud voice boom. WE all turned to our father, who was now red in the face “Shut it down”

“Shut what down, Father?” I asked gently.