Chapter 6: The Queen

The next day during lunch time, a letter came to me from Court Lady Oh. However, it's written in ancient Chinese and I was unable to recognise the characters.

"What is this?" I looked at the characters intensely, trying to make out what it says.

Areum and Rin were both confused as well. They were illiterate.

Damn it! Maybe I should just find Court Lady Oh instead of sitting here and guessing.

"Areum, Rin, could you bring me to Court Lady Oh's room?" I asked.

I arrived at Court Lady Oh's room and it was really neat and had a distant floral scent lingering. She was on her desk reading a few papers and offered me to sit down on one of the chairs.

"So you've received my letter." Court Lady Oh started.

"Huh? Oh...yes." I laughed away. Truth was, I couldn't read what was written.

She stared at me for quite a while, as if reading what was in my mind. Perhaps she found out I'm not from this world?!

"You said the Queen would harm my baby last night. How did you know I'm pregnant?" Her brows creased.

Ah. So she doesn't know my secret yet.

"Oh that. I-I had a dream." I hesitated before speaking. "So it's true that you're pregnant?"

Her face turned shock but instantly it became emotionless. Court Lady Oh cleared her throat before revealing her secret.

"Yes. But...it must be kept a secret. The doctor said my health isn't that good." She looked down to her stomach and caressed it gently. The expression on her face was full of worry.

"Why would you want to keep it a secret?" I was dying of curiosity. Why does the people in Goryeo likes to keep secrets? Isn't it good news that she's pregnant?

She sighed. "I wouldn't want to burden the King. He has many duties to attend to. He shouldn't worry about my health."

I burst in anger and stood up agitatedly. "What kind of logic is that? Aren't you his wife? Shouldn't he be by your side? Come to say, I've never seen the King before! What's wrong with the people here?"

"It's not easy to see the King as and when you feel like it. What more the Queen is there to attend to his needs."

"The Queen. Just what kind of person is she? Why does everyone seemed to be afraid of her? Is she really that terrifying?" I was at my limit. First, I was accused of stealing her jade necklace. Now, even Court Lady Oh seemed to cautious about her. What more...that dream. Or would I say future vision?

"You should never mention her that absentmindedly. She has the rights to treat people the way she wants. You should head back to your chamber. I have other things to do." She stood up and leaves the room.

Just how powerful is the Queen? I would really like to meet her.

//

When I returned to my room, all the servants were tense and all of them were keeping their heads low.

"Why are everybody like this? What's going on?" I asked the two servants.

"We have no idea. Could be someone has come to see you?" They were as confused as I was.

When I entered the room, Princess Yumi and another woman whom I've never seen before was sitting down drinking tea.

"Ah, she's here." Princess Yumi sneered at the sight of me. I rolled my eyes in return.

The woman turns and looks at me from head to toe, seeming to judge me as I enter. I can feel a strong vibe from her stature as I drew closer.

"Have your memory really worsen to the point you couldn't recognise the Queen?" Princess Yumi snickered.

The Queen?

I immediately lowered down my head and greeted, "Greetings to you, my Queen."

She laughed as she spats, "How could you still shamelessly see me when you've did something outrageous?"

I swallowed my saliva nervously, unable to look her in the eye though I knew I was not in the wrong.

She stood up and I felt her drew closer as the tip of her hanbok sways from left and right gently. The Queen lifted up my chin and glared into my eyes. I felt my body tense and a shiver up my spine.

I didn't have any time to get ready when the Queen slapped me hard across the cheek. A hot burning sensation immediately spread across and I felt a tear trickle down my eye.

"Capture her!" The Queen orders and her servants immediately grabbed hold on both sides of my arm.

"Princess Hara!" Areum and Rin yelped helplessly as they attempted to save me.

"Don't you dare!" Princess Yumi scolded.

"Let me go! Why are you doing this to me?" I flapped my arms vigorously, attempting to escape.

"Court Lady Yoon." The Queen orders fiercely.

"Yes my Queen." Without the Queen having to say much, the old woman who was Court Lady Yoon rushes over to me and pinches me in the arm.

"Ah!!!" I screamed as she continues to pinch me.

"Stop! Please! Your Highness! Have mercy on Princess Hara!" Rin pleaded with all her might but only to be slapped by Princess Yumi.

"Shut up! How dare a servant of such low status speak to the Queen! I shall punish you personally!" Princess Yumi orders her other servants and they started slap and pinch Areum and Rin as well.

"Leave them alone! They've done nothing wrong! It's me who you are dealing with!" I swear at the top of my lungs.

"Hmm!" The Queen chuckles as she stood there to enjoy our torture. "Fine. Bring Princess Hara to the punishment room! I shall deal with her on my own."

"Yes my Queen!" The servants answered and I was instantly being dragged to the punishment room.

"No! Let me go!" I struggled to break free but to no avail.