b o n u s || graduation

Graduates in black robes dotted with purple and white stoles cover the lawn, chairs arranged neatly in straight rows that have shifted as names are called. Nessa sits toward the front of the guest section with a smile painted on her face and two bundles of flowers resting across her lap. She didn't know which flowers were appropriate for graduation, so she just bought two bouquets of various assortments, one for Liam and the other for Vy.

Both of them will like the bouquets regardless.

She waits to hear the President of the University call their names. The forecast said it was supposed to rain all day, but there's there's not even a single cloud in the blue sky. A part of Nessa wishes she was sitting there with them, but she realizes that it'll be her turn next year.

Vy walks across the stage before Liam, striding confidently in the heels she's borrowed from Nessa. Everyone within a five mile radius hears her boyfriend, Ryan, screaming her name. The grin that appears on Vy's face seconds after is indescribable. Nessa thinks she's never seen Vy happier.

Liam walks across the stage ten minutes later sporting both the purple and white stole on his neck and a relieved smile on his face. Some people spend their whole lives dreaming of this moment. After he receives his diploma from the Dean, he turns toward the crowd and searches the sea of faces for one person in particular.

When Nessa's and Liam's eyes lock, he smiles at her. And in that moment, it's like no one else in the world exists even though they can hear the whispers and excitement bubble through the crowd. In that moment, everything is more than perfect.

After graduation is finished and everyone breaks apart for pictures, Vy runs over to Nessa with open arms. Ryan trails behind her holding their diplomas in his hand. The force Vy hugs Nessa with almost causes her to topple backwards into her chair.

"I'm so glad you could make it today, Ness," Vy exclaims cheerfully. "I heard Liam said you have an interview later for an exhibit at a gallery, but you're coming over for our graduation party afterwards, right?"

"I wouldn't miss it for the world."

"It looks like Lover Boy's waiting for you," Vy points to Liam who is leaning against a tree with his arms folded across his chest, "I'll see you tonight, Ness. Thanks again for the flowers!"

"Where's my hug, Nessa?" Liam calls Nessa over, the smile on his face a trap for her fluttering heart.

"You don't get one."

"Is this how you're going to show your love?" he asks, snaking both of his arms around her waist and pulling her against him. "It's okay because I wanted a kiss anyways."

"Who said I loved you?" she leans in and whispers, leaving merely an inch between their lips.

"Ouch, Ness." Liam throws his head back and laughs."If you're going to break my heart, I think you should know that I'm going to need you to fix it up for me."

"Will these help?" Nessa brings the bouquet out from behind her back and holds it up in front of his face.

"I'm supposed to be the one that's getting you flowers," he says as he takes the bouquet from her, frowning slightly. It's become a little difficult to stay mad at her for longer than a couple seconds. "You're stealing all of my tricks."

"I'll forgive you," Nessa teases. "But only if you buy me coffee instead."

"Not chocolate?"

"How about both?"

"If you're going to be greedy, I think you're going to have to give me a little bit more than flowers. Not that I don't love them," Liam pauses."I just love you more."

"I love you, too."

"Is that so?"

She nods before she says,"Just not more than coffee or pizza."

"Come on, Nessa! I can understand pizza, but coffee? Really?!"

-----

IMPORTANT: the prologue and first chapter of my teen fiction/romance story, the King Effect, is already up! I'll be updating tonight, and I'd love it if you guys checked it out. a part of me really misses writing cute scenes like this (:

thank you so much for #5 in short story guys i'm literally screaming my lungs off right now (and there's only one more bonus left so i'm crying)