Chapter 44

Unedited chapter! It's not easy to write with a 3 week old baby Sarah :)

Content warning: Physical violence and strong language

Heart beat escalated.

Pulse quickened.

Breath shortened.

Eyes were seeing what mind was not ready to accept.

Adrenaline rushed through Salman's blood stream as he lunged at the assaulter. Grabbing Daud by the shoulder he hauled him away from Nawal. Blinded with rage, he attacked not caring of the consequences. He punched Daud's stomach uncountable times. Daud was numb unable to respond as he was being bashed. Nawal screamed, her body trembling like a leaf on an autumn breeze hanging from a tree branch. Her heart speeding as she saw her husband overpowering wrath. Salman pushed Daud hard and he fell backward on his desk. The back of his head banging on the mahogany surface of the desk. His head swirled, blood dripped down his nose and torn lip but a scornful smile spread across his face as he stumbled to stand up holding his head in his hands.

Like a mad man, Daud started laughing. Bellows of laughter echoed around them. Salman thought Daud had lost his senses now. But then blue eyes raised to black ones.

"What did I tell you? You may marry her but she will never be yours." Daud spat. His lips curled sardonically as he clumsily took a step closer to Salman, pointing at his chest, "Brother, you are not a man enough to satisfy her. She needs a real man."

Nawal's eyes widened and a sob left her lips. Why was he doing this?

Salman clenched his teeth and yanked at the collar of Daud's shirt collar, "You son of a bitch I will kill you."

There was no stopping now. A ferocious beast had been unleashed as Daud received one blow after another. Buttons popped, shirt fabric tore apart, blood dripped, bones broke but Daud's victorious smile remained on his lips.

Tears dripping down her cheeks, Nawal rushed to Salman, grasping his arm with quivering hands, "Please stop. Please." She cried.

Salman wasn't listening instead he pushed her away from him and she staggered back but she again stood up determined to stop Salman before he did some serious damage but she was too late.

The security officers of the building had been called by the secretary and were now holding back Salman with both his arms.

"Daud? Daud? We should call an ambulance," Mary, the secretary, hovered over Daud's limp body that was stretched on the office floor.

Daud clutched Mary's hand, "Help me sit up." he croaked.

Mary tightened her hold on Daud's hand and helped him sit up on the floor. He winced in pain but through the wetness of tears of pain and dripping blood, Daud saw as the men were hauling Salman out of the room.

"Salman ask your wife who has been giving her the comfort and love that she craved for? You are only good at snatching what is rightfully others. But you don't know how to take care of what is in your possession. You lost brother! You lost."

Daud's voice was loud and clear slashing hearts and eradicating any illusions. Nawal's heart further broke. She had been a fool to ever trust this man. With every step, she dreaded what will happen now? Will Salman believe her? Daud had sowed the seed of doubts in Salman's mind. How will she prove that he was lying? She glanced one last time at the man she thought she had loved. But all she felt was betrayed and misused. There she saw a lonely man lying in his misery in the pool of blood. He may have be smiling but his eyes were hollow and today's events cleared one thing to Nawal, he was heartless. Devoid of any affectionate feelings.