Chapter 8

Their two week mission ended and they returned to Sweden without running into any more problems. Ruth gave the Woman the data she recovered, and both Ruth and Ryker told the Woman every detail of the mission report.

Ryker's heart continued to feel burdened. He didn't know if it was the kill itself, or the idea of the kill that started a sadness within him. Ruth could see him struggling, but never said anything unless he started the conversation. Part of her didn't know what to say, and another part of her knew it was her responsibility not to care.

Over the next few weeks, both Ruth and Ryker continued on their individual missions. Most of Ruth's missions involved her staying close to the Woman's side and acting as her guard. Most of Ryker's missions included going out in the field to grab intel. Ryker was given a mission one morning where he would be gone for a day and a night, and return the next morning. When the next morning came, he returned. After he gave his mission report to the Woman and walked into his room, he was on edge; something only Ruth could see clearly because he hid it so well.

A day passed, and in the afternoon, Ruth walked into the kitchen for some food after training. She was instead met by an injection to the neck that knocked her out instantaneously. Ruth was abruptly woken up to a hard slap to the side of her face, in a room with steel walls and barricaded doors that she was familiar with. The lighting was dull, which only added to the discomfort of being there. Her arms and legs were restrained, and she felt the prongs on the back of the chair stick out into her back uncomfortably.

"You've been lying to me," The Woman's voice pierced Ruth's ears as it stood out from the eerie silence that filled the room, her silhouette slowly coming into focus.

Ruth was still trying to adjust her eyes to the light. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"I know that you see what room you're in, and what you're hooked up to, so why would you continue to lie to me?"

"I know exactly where I am, but I have been nothing but honest and faithful to you."

The Woman sent the back of her hand across Ruth's face.

There was a stinging pain underneath Ruth's eye, she wondered if it was bleeding.

"Do you remember this machine?" The Woman's voice spoke. "At the touch of a button I can send pain that will cripple your body."

"Trust me, the pain of seeing your face everyday is much worse than what can come from that machine."

The Woman ordered the guard standing next to her to punch Ruth in the stomach, to which Ruth involuntarily coughed.

"Now is not the time to be a smart ass, Ruth," The Woman commented. "Why, after our extensive history with her and whoever she is with, would you give the information you collected in Russia to Natasha Romanoff?"

"I didn't give any information to Natasha. I already told you about my run in with her. I left her hacking from gas on the floor of that café."

The Woman turned the dial on the panel in front of her, and by pushing a button, sent electric shock through Ruth's body.

Ruth exclaimed in pain, her muscles seizing and her heart burning out of her chest.

"Well someone had to have given that information to her, and you were the only one to tell me that you've seen her. Are you saying someone else here is lying to me?" The Woman continued.

"I don't..." Ruth stopped, gaining her breath. She thought about Ryker, if he really would have done such a thing when out on a mission. How would he even contact Natasha? "I don't know."

Another shock activated and felt as if it paralyzed Ruth's body. She struggled to gain her breath now.

The Woman's annoyance was read clearly on her face, "Well, if you don't know, I guess I'll have to interrogate everyone here. If someone is betraying me I have to find out soon and they'll have to deal with the consequences."

Ruth knew what interrogation meant.

"And I think I'll start with the youngest and work my way up. Or maybe, I'll begin with Ryker. He's always been so sensitive when it comes to interrogating. Just a few hours and he'll tell me everything he's ever done."

Ruth felt her blood run cold. Fear took over her mind, but it wasn't fear for herself. "It was me, I'll admit it. I did it."

The Woman gave a slight grin.

"It wasn't even the full file. Natasha said it was useless information when I ran into her. I thought that maybe if I gave her what I had that she would return the favor later on. I should have told you," Ruth lied.

"Yes, you should have. You'll get your punishment soon."

The guard struck Ruth in the ribs, sending a jolt of pain that left her gasping for a breath. The Woman's hand grabbed Ruth strongly by the jaw and came close to her face, "I know you're not that idiotic."

Relief was barely felt in her jaw when Ruth was hit with another needle to the neck.