Chapter 11

Ruth assumed it was about mid morning when she heard frantic running throughout the facility. She wondered if it was some sort of drill the Woman had started. Then, the running came closer and rushed to her door. Through the window, Ruth could see a guard frantically opening her door, and once it opened, Ruth saw the Woman's face appear along with him. But her face was odd, she looked afraid.

    "Get her out, now. We're taking her with us," the Woman instructed the guards.

    The two men walked over to Ruth with hand restraints ready to go, even they were nervous.

    Ruth used the opportunity of their fear and struck them both down, grabbed one of their guns, and aimed it straight towards the Woman. The Woman's anxiety made the move catch her off guard.

    "Tell me what's going on," Ruth demanded.

    The Woman kept looking down the hall, "SHIELD. They're here. No doubt your idiot brother led them here. I don't know how else they would have found us."

    "You talk about Ryker like that one more time and I swear I'll blow your head off."

    "Now's not the time for revenge, Ruth. We need to get out of here. If you kill me, there will be no way for you to escape. Once SHIELD has you, they will kill you."

    "No they won't, you're lying." Ruth tried not to believe her.

    "When have I ever lied to you? Can't you see that I have done everything that I've done to help you? To raise you?"

    Ruth didn't want to believe it, but she had never been raised to know anything else. She couldn't remember what it was like to be raised without fear and abuse.

    Too much time had passed, and the Woman tried to walk out of Ruth's view and get away.

    "No, you're coming with me," Ruth interjected, her voice firm and her finger laying on the trigger.

    The Woman smirked and played along, leading the way to where Ruth was guiding her.

    Ruth pushed her back into a familiar room. As Ruth opened the door, the Woman reached around and tried to grab the gun from Ruth and knock her down. But with a couple pressure point hits and a palm to the nose, Ruth quickly took the advantage.

The Woman's nose bled as she got up from the ground, laughing. A laugh that came from so much emotion just having to escape in some way.

    "Did you forget that you trained me with your techniques?" Ruth asked, shoving the Woman back into the room.

    The Woman saw the chair in the middle of the room that she had never sat in, but where she had many others sit.

The electric panel that was hooked up to the chair was just a little farther towards the front of the room. Ruth kept the gun against the Woman's head until she got to the chair.

    "Sit down," Ruth commanded. Her voice was firm with a silent rage.

    The Woman turned to face her, "Come on Ruth, you're not really-"

    "I said, SIT DOWN!" Ruth exclaimed.

    The outburst surprised the Woman down into the chair.

    Ruth put the restraints on the Woman's arms and legs, "I'll be right back, and I know you won't be going anywhere. If you want, you can try and scream for help, but it won't be me coming to get you. That will be up to SHIELD." Ruth walked out and heard the rapid gunshots and commotion going on from outside the building, she only had minutes.