Chapter 18

Everyday for another week, Ruth stayed alone in her cell with nothing to do. She didn't see many people pass by, especially not Pierce or the Soldier. But each day, like clockwork, Dr. Mage stopped by and asked her one question.

"How do you feel?"

"Fine and dandy."

"Good, good."

A day passed.

"How do you feel?"

"Never better."

"Good, good."

Another day passed.

"How do you feel?"

"Just...Fine."

"Good," with a smile.

Another day.

"How do you feel?"

"Good! Good, good." Her leg anxiously fidgeting.

"Good," With a bigger smile.

And another day.

"How do you feel?"

"Ready to get out of here. Ready to do something."

"Excellent."

Ruth didn't feel any different, even when she thought about the serum and how it would change her. She thought it had failed to do anything to her and how she would have to do the injections again, and how much worse they would be.

But Dr. Mage didn't come by the next day, or the day after that. When he finally did come by, he walked into the cell with Ruth and sat down on the small steel stool that swung out from the metal table attached to the wall next to her bed.

"You're feeling good, yes?" Dr. Mage asked her, the same eerie grin on his face.

Ruth didn't say anything. She just looked at him while sitting on the edge of her bed, her elbows resting on her knees.

"Well, I think you're ready to start training to go out into the field again," he continued.

"Why would I need any training?" Ruth asked, ignoring the fact that he said she was going out into the field to do jobs for Hydra.

"You've been out of practice for a little while now. Plus, you need to gain muscle again and build up your strength."

Ruth was confused.

"I don't know if you've noticed Miss Rogers, but you've lost a little weight. We controlled your calorie intake so your immune system would respond better to the serum."

Ruth glanced down at her legs. There wasn't much difference, but at the athletic shape she was in, a "little" weight could be significant. She didn't ever really feel hungry between meals, but when she did, she thought it was just her body adjusting.

"So where do you want me to train? In here? Are you going to put in a punching bag or something?" Ruth asked.

Dr. Mage knew that most of her words mocked him, but he smiled just the same. "No no, we're going to let you out for a couple hours a day and have someone train you."

"Who?"

"James. The Winter Soldier."