36: cheat day

ONE THING CAMILA never does is setting alarms. That's why she dug out her mom's bike from the garage and that is why she's riding one-handed, the other one checking the directions on her phone.

    It's been a while since she's been in under constraint and it's also been a while since she's actively moved her legs like this and it isn't long before the insides of her thighs start to cramp. She makes it into the Kings' driveway just as the pizza guy does.

    "Uh, hey," he says.

    "I'm," she huffs, "not paying."

    Laurent swings open the door, preventing further awkward eye contact. He leans on the side of his front door and crosses his arms, grinning at Camila's flushed cheeks.

    Kicking down the bike stand, she leaves the bike outside his door and stands in the middle of them—Laurent and the pizza guy. "Are you going to pay?" she whispers, fully aware that she can't lower her voice far enough and that all three of them are in the conversation.

    "Are you?" Laurent asks and stares down at her.

    "No," she said. "You really should now. This is getting weird."

    "Laurent, don't be such a dick," the pizza guy speaks up.

    "Shut up, Justin," Laurent says.

    "We're close," Justin says, when Camila looks at him, eyebrows furrowed.

    "Whatever." She takes a note from Jeremy's book and gets inside first.

    Immediately, the scent of warm cinnamon hits her nose and she smiles at how fast warmth spreads inside her. The walls are a cream color and it's evident that his parents have an eye for interior design. There are a collection of sports shoes and cleats by the door and she notices the little marks made along the wall, no doubt that this was how Laurent used to measure himself.

    "Wanna watch a movie?" his voice sounds in her ear and startles her. He closes the door with his foot, pizza in his hand. "Your bag's in the living room."

    "I thought you ate healthy?"

    "Cheat day."

    "How special."

    "Yes, Mila. And I'm sharing it with you. Though I'd rather have a full meat lover's pizza to myself but I have to get it half-vegan or whatever crazy diet you're on."

    "It's not a diet. It's a lifestyle."

    "Whatever." (It seems as if they're both really in that Jeremy-mood.)

    They do watch a movie, a comedy that Camila can't remember the name of. What she does remember, though, is waking up with the TV still on but with a black screen and nestled under a blanket. Laurent's right next to her, under the blanket, and she suddenly feels too hot.

    At this proximity, he smells like fall—even though it's currently spring—and Camila sees how his mouth is parted slightly as he sleeps.

    It was probably a bad idea to do dinner when they're both so exhausted but it was nonetheless pleasant to wake up to.

    Carefully, she untangles herself from their snug position and goes to get her bag, checking her phone to see that it's only eight—her parents won't be worried. The same time she leaves the blanket, the temperature of her soul drops as well and she longs to stay there for just a moment more.

    "Bye Laurent," she says and plants a kiss on his forehead, above his eyebrow.