three

I walked in a graceful manner with the hot tray of steaming, yummy soup, bread, and water toward the smiling old woman that was seated comfortably in her bed inside the dull yellowish walls, with the smell of old people lingering

I lightly pushed my hair out of my face, and the woman smiled. "Dearie, you're so kind here. I know most girls would rather be doing other things, than helping us old people. But you're here, always, with a smile on your face, and a stride in your step." The woman smiled again as she finished her sentence, and I handed her the tray of food that was hers.

I sighed but still smiled. Mrs. Kim had been here ever since I started working at the nursing home, especially for her, and she still thought I was a volunteer. She truly was precious.

She took a sip of her soup and smiled. "This soup is amazing! What kind is it?" She asked me for the hundredth time, she asked every time I gave her the soup, it was the same kind every time.

"It's chicken noodle soup, Mrs.Kim." Bless her heart, really.

She did her own version of a dance, like some fangirl. "This is the best chicken noodle soup ever!" She pushed up her reading glasses and took an inspecting look at the soup. I smiled and slowly walked out of the room. I had many other patients than just Mrs.Kim.

As a nurse, I made sure all of the old people were well taken care of and were treated nicely. I knew from other retirement homes didn't treat their elderly as well. However, I was different, I made sure they had good food, good treatment, I had even hired a cellist to come and play every Tuesday for them. They were my everything to me, it made me smile when they were happy. It was true, kindness went a long way.

Although sometimes I was a bit sad about taking the career of a nurse, I tried to cheer myself up. Seeing how the elderly's faces lit up when they saw me walk into their rooms was worth more than a job as a doctor, which I could have chosen with the number of majors I earned in college. I could easily switch, but finding a job for a young person, such as myself, would be too difficult. I was content working here, even though most said I was under-using my talents.

My day went on, and I began to pick up on the buzz that was going around the retirement home. Apparently a few days ago, there was a news show clip that went viral. It was a girl, and she went completely berserk, shoving away the cameramen and reporters trying to restrain her. She screamed something about lust and sins, but it all sounded ridiculous, I didn't understand or listen to the whole conversation the elderly had together, I was too busy to make sure they didn't choke on their food, they were talking so fast. I would watch the whole thing, but I didn't own a cell phone, I was too devoted to my work to get an addiction to something as petty as that, and the elderly were happy with my choices. They knew I was never envious of other girls, they knew I was perfectly content with where my niche in life was. In my opinion, being happy and content with a good job was better than being stressed and rich at a more difficult job.