Chapter 9: Hunting for Noobs

Kashi walked the streets of Kerta, marveling at how much the city had changed over the past three weeks. The roads were packed with numerous Residents and Summoned going about their business. With every passing day, the density of Summoned increased as more gamers subscribed to the new game.

Kashi passed by several newly erected stores on designated 'Trade Streets' where Merchants gathered to sell their wares and upgrade their class. The trade classes possessed a unique trait compared to other classes. Unlike Warriors or Mages, Merchant classes did not need to fight to increase their levels. The act of completing transactions in any form rewarded them with the experience points they used to level up.

Whereas if a Warrior or Mage practiced smithery, tailoring, or other similar Crafts, they suffered penalties to the experience points they gained. Due to this penalty, most newbies tended to shy away from crafting in the early stages of gaming. The fact that the early stages of a game also had the highest turnover rate of weapons also meant that the price of weapons was quite low and not very profitable.

Artisans could only succeed in the early stages if they were good enough to constantly produce Uncommon or Rare goods. Kashi knew from experience if he wanted to get gear similar to the Recruit's Set, he would have to pay through his nose. At the moment, professional crafters were ultra-rare, and the daeben fully intended to cash in on the opportunity.

Especially because it was a brand new game, even users who were trade-crafters in their previous games would be tempted to roam for a while before picking up their respective trades.

The foundation of every good business was sufficient start-up funds. Kashi had indeed saved up quite a bit from his apprenticeships at the various shops, but because he was trying to manage his level growth, he did not maximize his profit margin. The daeben considered continuing with the apprenticeships now that he no longer needed to manage his leveling speed. However, on second thought, he changed his mind.

When it came to making money, there was a faster, more efficient method, especially considering his current strength level.

Kashi arrived at the Adventurers' Guild and admired the grand structure for a moment before making his way in. The daeben made his way over to a female mertian clerk who introduced him to the Adventurers' Guild and how it worked.

The Adventurers' Guild was a coalition formed from a group of adventurers many decades ago to consolidate the collective strength of adventurers around the continent. It provided security both to the customer and the adventurer carrying out the mission, ensuring that neither party got cheated.

Adventurers were ranked, in order of lowest to highest: FàEàDàCàBàAàSàSSàSSS. These rankings were not based on strength alone, but also trust. The more missions an adventurer completed, the greater their rank would be. Higher ranks meant tougher missions or missions guarding more important cargo.

Missions were posted on a notice board, and all had a recommended level and required Guild Ranking. Just like in most RPGs, Residents paid a sum to the Adventurers' Guild in return for the completion of certain tasks. Without the required Guild Ranking, an adventurer could not take up a mission even if their level was ten times above the recommended level. For example, if a mission had a Recommended Level of 10, and a Guild Ranking of E, even a level 100 adventurer would not be allowed to pick up that mission if they were Rank F.

Adventurers who completed the task were paid a percentage of the quest-givers fee. Summoned could also post requests, and just like Residents, they had to pay the reward to the Adventurers' Guild first.

Kashi thanked the clerk for her assistance and then walked over to the board. He scanned the board and noticed a myriad of level 10-15 quests for an F-ranked adventurer. As this was his first time at the Adventurers' Guild, he was ranked F, and these were the only missions he could take, presently.