Chapter 3: Wayne Manor

Third Person POV

The day following the death's and funeral of John and Mary Grayson was filled with sadness. Danny and Dick had packed what little belongings they had and were currently saying goodbye to their circus family.

Not a dry eye was seen during these goodbyes. The Grayson brothers both hugged Mister Haly goodbye. "Remember boys, you'll always be a part of this family. No matter what," Mister Haly told them as his eyes sparkled with tears.

The boys nodded and gave Mister Haly one last squeeze before ending their embrace. After a few more goodbyes, the two boys walked over to Commissioner Gordon. He was to be their escort to Wayne Manor.

Gordon didn't say a word as he helped put the boy's belongings in the trunk of the car. Danny, Dick, and Commissioner Gordon piled into the car. "Wayne Manor," Gordon told the driver. The car started up and drove away from the circus, while Danny and Dick sadly watched the large tent grow smaller and smaller.

Danny settled into his seat beside his older brother. He leaned his head on Dick's shoulder. "We're not going to see them again, are we?" Danny asked him.

Dick's eyes widened and he looked down at his brother, "Hey don't say that. The circus is always traveling. I'm sure we'll see them again one day," he assured his brother.

Danny looked up at him, "Promise?"

Dick smiled sadly and nodded, "Promise."

THE ALL MIGHTY LINE BREAK RETURNS! NOW BACK TO THE STORY!

The car arrived at Wayne Manor after about a half hour. Gordon exited the car and opened the door, letting the boys out. They were in awe of the large manor. To them it looked like a castle.

While they stretched their legs and admired the building, an older man wearing a crisp suit exited the house. His hair was white and he had a small mustache.

"Good day Commissioner Gordon. I assume these are our newest arrivals?" Alfred questioned.

The Commissioner nodded, "Meet Danny and Richard Grayson." Gordon turned to the brothers, "Boys, this is Alfred Pennyworth."

Danny stood timidly beside his brother as Dick held out his hand, "Nice to meet you Alfred," Dick said.

Alfred shook his hand, "It is a pleasure to meet you as well, Master Richard."

"I prefer Dick," he told the butler. Danny still had not moved or said anything. "This is Danny," Dick informed him.

Alfred nodded, "It is very nice to meet you both." Danny still said nothing. Commissioner Gordon walked over with the boys bags and Alfred took them into the house. "Alfred!" Gordon called out.

Alfred turned. "Is Bruce available?" Gordon asked.

Alfred nodded, "Should I tell him you wish to speak with him?"

Gordon nodded. Alfred walked into the manor. "C'mon boys, hurry along," the commissioner urged. The two brothers walked into the large manor and were instantly amazed. It was huge! The entrance was filled with priceless looking ornaments and there was a large fountain in the middle of the room. At the back of the room was a wide staircase.

And at the top of the stairs stood the man himself, Bruce Wayne.

"Hello boys, Commissioner," Bruce greeted as he descended the stairs. Dick smiled and gave him a small wave. Danny waved as well.

The Commissioner stepped in front of the boys, "Bruce, may I have a word with you?"

Bruce looked a little confused, but nodded. He turned to the boys and smiled, "You two can head into the kitchen. Alfred just baked some cookies and they're still warm." The billionaire pointed in the direction of the kitchen.

Danny's face lit up at the mention of sweets and he rushed off, with Dick close on his heels. Bruce's smile faded as he turned back to Commissioner Gordon, "Why don't we step into my office?"

The two men walked into Bruce's office, with Bruce taking a seat behind his desk and Gordon sitting in one of the large chairs. The Commissioner sighed, "Bruce, I'm afraid I have some bad news."

The billionaire's face instantly became full of concern, "What is it Jim?"

Gordon rubbed his brow tiredly, "I questioned the boys yesterday and came up with some surprising answers."

Bruce did his best to control his impatience, "And that is?"

The Commissioner sighed, "Danny saw Zucco enter and leave the main tent before the show."

Bruce was surprised, "Are you sure."

Gordon nodded, "He mentioned seeing a man enter and leave the tent before they went on. He never got a good look at his face but from what details he did give us were enough to convince me that it was Zucco."

Bruce rested his elbows on the desk and folded his hands in front of his lips. He lowered his hands saying, "So that means Danny saw his parent's killer-"

"-and now could be potentially targeted," Gordon finished, "Not to mention the poor kid feels responsible for his parent's death."

Bruce remembered that feeling. He had felt the same way when his parents died. "So what are you suggesting I do?"

Gordon shrugged, "I have men out there looking for Zucco, but I think all this attention scared him into hiding. We may lose him if we're not quick. As for Danny, I suggest just keeping an eye on him. He and his brother are good kids."

Bruce nodded and stood up, as did the Commissioner. They exited the office and Bruce walked him to the door. "Thank you for telling me Jim," Bruce said. Gordon nodded and left the manor.

Bruce headed to the kitchen to check on the brothers. When he arrived, a smile appeared on his face. Danny, Dick and Alfred were sitting around the kitchen island, talking, laughing and eating cookies. There heads instantly turned when they heard Bruce enter. "Any room for one more?" he asked.

Dick smiled and Danny nodded as Bruce sat down, grabbing himself a cookie. The four of them began to talk and laugh. Even Alfred let out a chuckle or two. Some time later, Alfred stood up. "I best be getting dinner ready now."

Bruce stood up as well, "And I have some business to attend to." He looked at the boys, "I'll see you all at dinner." Bruce exited the kitchen and headed to the study, walking straight to the old clock. He adjusted the hands so that the time read 10:47 p.m.

The clock moved upwards revealing a hidden elevator. Stepping inside Bruce rode the elevator down into his secret lair. The Batcave. He walked over to the large computer and sat down in front of it. Bruce entered his password and began his search for his newest priority.

Tony Zucco.

A/N: Hope you all enjoyed this chappie. Not sure when I'll update next I'm crazy busy this week. But I'll do my best. Also be sure to check out my profile to vote on what fanfic I should start next. Thanks and I'll see you all in the next one!