Chapter 26

CHAPTER 26

Quinn

I can still feel his strong hands gently rubbing my feet as my mind starts to float in the space between awake and asleep. I know the TV is on, but I can't focus on what is playing because my head is fuzzy and already drifting quickly into a different level of consciousness. This is the place where you sometimes wake up and have to take a minute to convince yourself you're dreaming because everything feels so real and yet you find yourself tucked into your bed, or lying on the couch.

I hear the sweet giggles first and I swear my heart dances. My lips are already curling into a giant smile and my chest fills with joy so pure I feel it rise up and sting the backs of my eyes with fresh tears.

"Miss Quinn," the small voice whispers and I try to open my eyes so I can see my little friend again. My eyelids are too heavy and my mind is too foggy. The giggles erupt again, but this time there are more.

"She's still sleeping," another young voice says quietly and a tiny, soft fingertip presses against the tip of my nose. "I'll wake her up with a Hulk Stomp!"

I can't help but laugh. It's a mix of tears and chuckles, joy and heartache colliding as I hear my friends again. I use all my strength to open my eyes and find Joseph's bright ones staring back at me. His lips crack into a smile and he looks quickly to his side, motioning for someone to come closer.

"She's up!" He says in a loud whisper. Finally William moves in close enough that I can see him and his smile reaches into my chest and warms my heart until it almost burns.

"Thor." My voice is hoarse and quiet. My throat is tight with emotion as I see the little boy who, in his final days had not been strong enough to leave his bed, standing before me. His hair is short and his cheeks are pink, but most noticeable is the light in his eyes. The soul I had seen slowly slipping away is right here in front of me burning at full brightness.

My eyes move back to Joseph's. I don't bother to wipe away the tears I feel slipping down my cheeks. I can't lift my head or move my body towards them. I want so badly to move my hand and touch them. I want to hold their little hands again or give them each a hug. If seeing their happy faces and hearing their adorable voices is all I'm ever going to get, then I'll have to make it enough.

"Are you okay? I'm so happy you're together." My words rush out of my mouth quickly.

Their infectious giggles are enough of an answer, but William nods his head anyway. "We're okay." He looks to his friend and they exchange a knowing look before he leans in a little closer. He used to love to tell me secrets when he was my patient. He'd motion for me to come close and then he'd cup his hands around his mouth and whisper something into my ear so that only I could hear him.

As he moves towards me now, I try not to show just how hard I'm fighting so I won't cry. My lip twitches slightly from the strain of it, but he doesn't notice. His hands cup his lips and he softly whispers, "We're staying together again." His words seem to float around inside my brain as I try to figure out what they mean. He takes a step back.

I have my eyes locked onto Joseph's. My brows are furrowed in confusion and Joseph giggles as he tips his head to the side and adds in a whisper, "Don't worry, Miss Quinn, you're going to know us then too."

"I'll always know you." I tell them. "Some souls you just can't ever forget."