Vanishing Act

Mumbai is known by many sobriquets - the city that never sleeps, the city of dreams, the Maximum city

Mumbai is known by many sobriquets - the city that never sleeps, the city of dreams, the Maximum city. All these names, stolen from other cities and that's what makes Mumbai unique. We steal our identity from other places and make it our own, more so than the originals. She is very deceptive in her nature, this city, but I see her for who she is.

Beyond the veils of poverty, pollution and corruption, I can see the raw, real, and naked Mumbai. And mark my words, she is beautiful. I see her smiling through floods, storms and acts of terrorisms. I see her bringing people together when crisis strikes. And I see the city where no call of 'Ganpati Bappa' will go unanswered without a 'Morya'.

Sometimes, I am afraid that I am the only one who sees it, after all, it is in my nature to observe. I am this city's greatest detective, and as is the nature of this city, no one knows of me. I often say 'In the world that honours mediocrity, my place forever lies in the dust'. But things are about to change soon. For better or for worse, that I do not know.

On that day I was passing by the century old temple at Matunga observing the tall gopuram. The loud colours, exaggerated facial features of the Asuras and the Gods sculpted on it, and the beauty of the lithic apsaras caught my eye. Fragrances of sandalwood, bhasma and tulsi adorned the gentle wind. The sounds of the temple musicians sharply thumping on the chenda synchronised with the cadence of my heart. The shehnai called out to my soul with its rhinal tone. Peace.

I stood there as usual to inebriate my senses in this complex brew of offerings

I stood there as usual to inebriate my senses in this complex brew of offerings. It is a better 'pick-me-up' than the coffee that I forgot to have. With my eyes closed I asked God to impart upon me the usual portion of courage, confidence and the fixings.

As I continued to pray, I felt the world stop. The sound of music reduced, the fragrances disappeared, the gentle current of the wind stopped. Time seemed to decelerate. Then I felt the gentlest touch on the back of my neck, like a piece of chiffon drifting in the wind. I felt the slightest breeze behind me and then came the nudge that changed my life.

My whole body was pushed ahead and my prayers were interrupted.

Startled, I turned around. That's when I saw her for the first time.