Chapter 11 - Rainbow Brite

"Nina, it's been a week. What happened during the last date?"

I look at Taylor as he enters article information in my inventory system. I have kept quiet about the date with Xander.

"Not much. Xander was the touchy kind," I say.

"Touchy? Is that even a word?"

"Well, he was into hugs, put his hand on my leg and kissed my jaw," I whine.

Taylor stops typing and looks at me.

"What is wrong with you?" he asks. "Isn't that part of being in a relationship? There has to be some affection in the mix,"

"It wasn't just affection. He wanted me to go home with him to... you know,"

"Sex. Nina, just say sex. It is an absolutely normal word. It is even in the dictionary. Look it up,"

"Don't be a dick," I say irritated.

"I'm not a dick. You are irrational,"

"No, I'm not. Anyway, we just met, and he was suggestive. Is... sex all that men have in their heads?"

"Yeah, we do often think about sex. God knows that if I could, I would probably have a few bastard kids by now,"

I never thought about it.

"Do you miss it?" I ask.

"I had only done it twice before the accident. I had a girlfriend then. She freaked out when she found out that I was paralyzed and broke up with me. She used the usual 'it's not you, it's me' crap. Sure it was her," Taylor says, typing with slight fury.

"It wasn't real love then," I say, putting my hand on his shoulder.

"I guess not,"

"Do you want to have children?" I ask seriously.

"Yeah, I do. I imagine myself doing all the stuff; dressing them, changing them or even wheeling a little toddler on my lap. It is possible for me to have kids with in vitro fertilization. I'm a healthy man so extracting some seeds is not a problem. I just can't make physical love; that is what makes finding a woman nearly impossible for me. You can do it. Cherish it,"

"I never thought about that," I say a bit embarrassed.

"It's alright," he says while holding my hand.

I look at his handsome face. I wish so much happiness for him. Maybe I should make a dating profile for him. There has to be a woman willing to see past that stupid chair, and that can love him for the beautiful soul he is.

But there is another issue that made me react so strongly to Xander's advances.

"I'm a virgin," I say.

Taylor opens his mouth, but no words come out.

"I felt uncomfortable with Xander. I'm not opposed to the hugs and kisses, but the idea of having... sex with a guy that I just met disgusted me. Maybe Lisa is right, and I'm old-fashioned. I want it to be special, with someone I trust and love,"

"I understand. I'm sorry for giving you a hard time,"

"We are good today at embarrassment," I say, sitting on his lap and putting my arms around his shoulders.

"I'm glad that I can't feel my legs. You are probably crushing me," Taylor smirks.

"Fuck! You!" I shout while he laughs and goes back to typing.

The door bell rings, and I grin at the sight of a known face... Evan.

"Remember me?" he says as he holds the door open for a boy and a girl to come in.