The Scent Trail

A few days passed where my life returned to its mundane routine, barring the occasional 'playing with fire' moments

A few days passed where my life returned to its mundane routine, barring the occasional 'playing with fire' moments. It was temple, work, home and recreational burning. Then one day was a bit different. The eatery was more crowded than usual. I was given a new set of songs to play. People actually gave attention to my music. Even though it was tiring, a few encores made me feel happy. Steady remuneration made me happier.

Exhausted from work, I was about to retire for the day. As I was about to leave the stage, I saw a shadow shifting in the dark corners of the restaurant. A tall silhouette came out from the darkness and stood staring at me. He was bordering six feet, bald, tribal tattoos covering his head where his hair was supposed to be. He wore a flashy black shirt with the top two buttons open which exposed a tasteless thick gold chain. Blue denim and black glossy leather shoes covered his legs and feet. I went to the backroom to freshen up before I left, when I heard someone call me, "Rishaan, am I right?"

 I went to the backroom to freshen up before I left, when I heard someone call me, "Rishaan, am I right?"

The smell of cheap musk spread through the room. It was the tall individual who was looking at me from the audience, and from the scent and his glossy leather shoes caked with dirt on the bottom, I could ascertain that it was the same person who I had seen leaving a few days ago.

"Yes, that is what I'm called. Who are you?" I asked.

"I am Arshad. I work for a great man, who is generous," he said.

"What has that got to do with me?" I enquired.

"My boss sees significant potential in you and feels you deserve far better in life," he said while trying to withhold a smirk.

"That's kind of your 'boss', nonetheless it still doesn't answer my question," I quipped.

He took a bundle of 1000 rupees notes and put it inside my backpack which sat on the table beside me and said, "Let us move to a more private location before we resume our conversation."

Things became interesting all of a sudden. I followed him out of the restaurant and into his luxury sedan. He sat on the driver's seat and asked, "Would you like for me to drop you someplace?"

I said, "I was about to go home anyway, so you can drop me at--"

He interrupted me before I could finish and said, "We already know where you live, and certainly I can drop you home."

As we were driving towards my home, we continued the conversation where we had left it off.

"My boss, he sells happiness in small packets to all the people who can afford it. We are always looking for young and dynamic people to help us network better," he said

"So by happiness you mean---" I asked, while pretending not to know, thanks to Jerry boy, I already knew enough.

"It's certain substances that make you feel happy for a cost. The law of this country doesn't agree with my organisation's philosophy. But we feel that the masses deserve freedom of choice to purchase, use and abuse whatever substances they like," he said.

"Well, I am not sure how I feel about this. What if I say no?" I asked.

He replied in a stern voice, "Doesn't your mother work at the library? The commute in South Bombay can get dangerous. Accidents happen often. It would be a shame if you bring bad luck upon her and something happens to her. Poor lady."

I looked at him with surprise, this was the first time in my life that I had been threatened and I didn't know how else to react. Before I could think of a sly comeback he got a phone call. With the phone on speaker mode, he kept it on the dashboard and said, "Hello?"

A deep rough voice came out of the phone, "Arshad, my boy, it is I."

Arshad, who was threatening me a minute back was now wiping the perspiration off his forehead, "Yes sir, I was about to call you."

There was much noise in the background during the call, hundreds of repetitious deep grunting and hooting sounds like a mallard's call echoed in the background when the voice spoke again, "Have you delivered the consignment yet?"

"N-no sir, I am on m-my way now," Arshad stammered, out of fear I assumed.

"Very well, you will call me once you are done. Remember, I do not like being disappointed," the person on the other end of the phone said.

"Yes sir, you can count on me," said Arshad as the person on the other end hung up.

Arshad wiped his face once again and then he continued, "See Rishaan, I know what type of money you make at your current job and such kinds of opportunities do not come in one's life often. With the money that you can make working for the Don, you will get to enjoy your life how you truly deserve. You simply have to hand out our merchandise at your work place."

He parked the car a little away from my building and said, "I will give you a day to think about it. Here's a gift from my boss to persuade you to work with us."

He handed over a small black duffel bag to me and said, "Think it through, and then come and see us tomorrow evening with this duffel bag at the ferry wharf, or we will come to see you and that won't be good for you."

I got down and said, "Let's see," and he drove away. His muddy tires left tracks on the road.

In my room, I sat with the duffel bag on my lap

In my room, I sat with the duffel bag on my lap. I opened it. As if, the bundle of Rs. 1000 in my backpack was not enough. The duffel bag was filled with about six bundles of Rs.500 inside it and 30 pouches of contraband. So all in all I had about more money in my possession than I had ever made working. I have to admit I was tempted, but I had no intention of being a criminal. I thought about what I had to do to get out of this mess unharmed. So I called my employer and took the next day off as I needed time for myself. Without wasting any more time, I went to sleep as I had a long day and I needed to be fresh for my next day.

 Without wasting any more time, I went to sleep as I had a long day and I needed to be fresh for my next day