Chapter 32: The Dragon's cave

Saira's P.O.V

It's been one and a half year now that Iroh and I have been a couple. He was upgraded to the position as a General at the age of twenty-three and I left the United Forces earlier than expected because the United Republic Council needed me. Yes, I was a Councillor now. I was proud of Iroh and myself he was the youngest General and I was the youngest Councillor. Our families were present at the ceremonies. My family knew everything because Iroh couldn't keep his hands off of me and one day on Ember Island, they caught us. Of course they were shocked. But not because we were a couple but the fact that we didn't tell them, hurt them as hell.

Their Highnesses Prince Hayao and Princess Izumi still weren't aware about us. As well as the media. The paparazzi got worse. They were harassing Iroh. We couldn't even smile to each other in fear they would find out. So we stood away from each other the past few days.

Iroh's P.O.V

"I can't do that mother."

"Iroh...I'm waiting for grandchildren to spoil and can't wait any longer."

"I'm not ready mother."

"When are you ready, Iroh? You are twenty-four now. How long will you keep waiting? Indila is a good girl. She will make you happy."

I let out a sigh. I was not ready to marry anyone, especially not someone like Indila. I was aware that Saira and I decided to keep it a secret. Well, her family knew it. But I had no other choice than telling them.

"I have a girlfriend."

It was quiet for a few minutes. But then my mother finally reacted.

"How long?"

"One and a half year."

"And you didn't tell us? We are your parents, Iroh!"

"I know. But I can explain."

"I'm waiting."

"She didn't anyone to know because she's afraid of the media and paparazzi."

It was quiet again.

"Who is she?"

"You know her very well."

"I want you tell me."

"I can't."

"If you can't tell me, I want to meet her. Tomorrow at the Ursa Palace. We are reaching Republic City tomorrow anyway."

And with that she hang up.

I sighed. Great, Saira will kill me. How am I going to tell her? She barely was at home because she was at the council. I decided to visit her. I had to talk to Tenzin anyway, so I could inform her as well.

As I reached, I saw Saira and Tenzin discussing.

"Good afternoon Tenzin, Saira."

They both turned around and smiled.

"Hey Iroh. What brings you here?", Saira asked.

"I need to talk to you."

Tenzin, who knew about us, cleared his throat:"I think we should go in."

We nodded and followed him inside.

"I will leave you two alone now.", Tenzin said and left.

Saira turned her attention back to me: "What's wrong? You look so nervous."

"My mother and father want to meet you."

"What?"

"She found out."

"How?"

"I told her."

"Why?"

"Because she should know that someone exists in my life. I was about to get engaged. To Indila."

Saira kept staring at me, frozen but then she closed her eyes and let out a sigh.

"Okay. That's not a problem. When does she wish to see me?"

"Tomorrow at the Ursa Palace."

"Alright. I will be ready then. I hope you'll come along?"

"Sure."

"Thank God. I couldn't have faced them alone. I have an important meeting, I will see you at home."

Saira gave me a brief kiss and left.
I was surprised. I didn't expect Saira to react that calm. In my imagination I saw her slapping me. I guess I would never find out what was running through her mind.

The next day, I got ready and drove to the Ursa Palace. Saira and I travelled separate.
As I reached, I waited for Saira. But she completely ignored me and walked inside the palace followed by some guards of the palace. She wore a knee-long white dress with blue embroidery and dark blue high heels. She looked perfect as always. And as always, I couldn't take my eyes off of her.

 And as always, I couldn't take my eyes off of her

As we were in, she relaxed a bit. I could see she was nervous and
stood next to her. As I grabbed her hand, she finally looked at me. Her hands were shaking and cold.

"You don't have to be nervous.", I said and kissed her hand.

"What if they don't like me."

"They love you, Saira. I love you."

She still had that nervous look on her face. I didn't let go of her hand so she got support. She was still shaking.

"They have met you before Saira."

"This time it's different."

"No it's not."

"Your Highness, Prince Hayao and Princess Izumi are ready.", Jhin, my parents' assistant said. Saira squeezed my hand and didn't let go of it.

"Are you ready Saira?"

She just nodded, not being able to say a single word.
Jhin gave her worried looks and turned to me. He raised an eyebrow and I nodded, confirming that she was different and my girlfriend.
He opened the door and we slowly got in. My parents were already waiting for us.
My father smiled as he saw Saira. She looked completely relaxed now and smiled.

"So that's the girl who makes my son feel special. I could have known that it's you, my dear."

Saira still didn't let go of my and bowed.

"You could've told us earlier, Iroh.", my mother said,"That you finally got yourself a decent girl. Not like the other two arrogant scarecrows with no manners and no sense of style."

She turned her attention to Saira, who I was afraid of might collapse the next moment, placing one hand on her cheek.

"I'm happy that you are the one, my son chose. I was afraid he might bring another scarecrow home. There are some rules in this family. But I know you are aware of all of them and don't need tutorings like the other two, since our  friends raised you very well."

"Thank you very much, Your Highness. I appreciate your kind words and I will try to fulfill your wishes.", Saira said calmly.

I was proud of my girl.