Chapter 34 - Soft is the Wind

Know your own happiness. Want for nothing but patience - or give it a more fascinating name: Call it hope. - Jane Austen

Palmer's eyes widened as he stopped the carriage. Lydia's body lay upon the cold earth. Clouds had not filled the sky yet, but, thunder rolled in the distance reminding us how precious time had become. We had one last lingering look at the twinkling stars before the storm covered the heavens. The chill in the night air bit at our necks, shoulders, anything exposed. I wrapped my shawl around my body tighter, wondering how long my sister had been outside in this state.

He moved towards her. Paying no heed to the dirty ground, he dropped to his knees to place his fingers upon her neck. I heard him sigh with relief and assumed he found her pulse. He proceeded to ascertain her body for any breaks. Other than a few dark bruises, it appeared her injuries were superficial. Nevertheless, she still needed to see a doctor.

I offered a silent prayer, begging she would wake up and everything could go back to normal. But, as my eyes scanned the wreckage, I realized too much had happened, and there was no option but to keep moving forward. A positive thought crossed my mind as I hoped we could find a way to mend the only mode of transportation my family owned. Loud thunder clapped, ringing in my ears, causing my heart to catch and I shook out of my reverie. How did she get into this accident? Where had all the horses gone?

Palmer lifted her body as if she weighed no more than a feather and then placed her in the back with Jane. Having found a blanket, Jane put it around Lydia. Jane drew her tight, wrapping her arms about her sister to warm her. He sat down next to me and for a moment, we sat in silence. After a minute or two, he cleared his throat to speak. I watched him from the corner of my eye. He seemed as worried as Jane and I.

"Your family's carriage is in ruins. It would be too expensive to repair this much damage."

"Oh," I sighed, understanding the gravity of the situation, "and the horses?"

"Gone," Mr. Palmer shook his head, "Run away, or perhaps, stolen."

I listened to him speak. His voice was even and calm, but, I could hear the emotion behind his words. If Lydia acted with more restraint, this incident would never have occurred. But, it was too late to think of the past. Where was I going to find the money to get a new carriage and horses? How was I going to inform father that our horses were stolen or missing?

"What shall I tell my father?"

"May I offer my assistance until your family can afford a new carriage and horses?"

"Sir," I said, "you have helped us enough."

"I insist."

A strained smile appeared upon my lips. I let myself think for a moment before I spoke. I wanted to accept Mr. Palmer's help. However, father would not approve of me making the decision on my own. Instead, I said, "You must discuss it with my father."

Darcy, I miss you. I need you here by my side. I wish I knew where you were.

Mr. Palmer took the reins in his hands. Once the carriage started to move, I turned around, and Jane and I exchanged worried looks. I could tell what she was thinking about and I did not need to ask her. It was evident. The possibility of losing Longbourn weighed on our minds. If we had limited means to farm the land, then there was no telling what could happen. It felt as if the Sword of Damocles was dangling over my head, one false move, and swoosh.

When we arrived at Longbourn, I could feel the worry and anxiety settle in the pit of my stomach as if I had swallowed rocks. An unconscious Lydia was a recipe for disaster, and as we walked into the house, I could feel the tension. Trying to keep a level head in crises was harder than I thought. I had no idea how I managed to keep my cool, but, I succeeded in sounding calm enough to explain everything to mother and father. Mother fainted, and Mary ran off to fetch the smelling salts. Kitty giggled with a nervous smile plastered on her face. This reaction seemed appropriate coming from her. And father, well, he retreated into his study, shutting the door behind him leaving me to manage the zoo on my own.