Chapter 1- The trial

Kyla's P.O.V.

I walked through the carpeted floors with slow dragging steps, the chains around my hands and legs clanging together making a loud noise among the guards' footsteps. I knew what lay at the end of the corridor. I had already accepted my fate ever since the day I had planned for the betrayal of my pack. I knew that the consequences of letting my pack be caught by our enemies would also lead to my death. But instead of feeling remorseful, I was happy. I felt that I had finally done something useful in my life. So, I did not even try to justify myself when the enemy commander came to talk to me.

My wolf was hiding deep inside me because of the torture after the capture. She was in too much pain. The silver chains had weakened my wolf and left a burning mark on my skin wherever it touched. This meant that my wounds had stopped healing fast and my vision and hearing was becoming worse day by day. But I kept moving forward with fierce determination because I knew that all of this would end soon.

The door was flung open as I reached it and I could hear the dimming of the voices around me. There were people seated on both sides of the huge hall and all eyes were now on me. Even in my weakened state, I couldn't help but notice the grandeur of this hall. I caught glimpses of plush chairs, chandeliers and expensive paintings on the walls. A huge red carpet started from the door and stretched endlessly forward, until the thrones of the king and queen. I didn't have the courage to look up at their intimidating and accusing faces.

One of the guards hit my legs forcing me into a kneeling position. I heard a man start talking about my grievous crimes and what would be my punishment for them. I knew that the end result would be death, so I forced myself to block out his words. Apparently, all my other pack members had already been executed one by one before me. I was the last one alive in my pack. I smiled inwardly to myself. My plan had worked.

Suddenly I felt my wolf stir. She had lain dormant for the past few weeks and now she was forcing me to raise my bowed head to look around. I tried very hard to fight her unreasonable behavior, but she started pacing restlessly inside me. Something seems to have interested her and she was not ready to listen to me. I was not strong enough to fight her in my weakened state and finally raised my head to look around.

I saw that the expression of shock and anger flit through the people's faces as I looked at each one of them. My expressionless face and penetrating eyes must have shocked them and made them angry since a criminal was not supposed to look up from her bowed position.

I finally reached the center of the room. I felt my wolf getting more and more excited at each passing moment. I saw the queen's beautiful face looking at me enquiringly. Next to her sat the king. Shivers of fright laced through me as I stared at his face. His facial features were the same as my former alpha. But there were a lot of differences as well. For instance, the cruel mask of my alpha was now replaced by a face of kindness, worry and old age. As he looked unwaveringly back at me I felt his power but I also felt the wisdom that was shining through his eyes.

Finally my eyes moved towards the man sitting on the throne beside the king. And I felt my wolf howl inside me as I laid my eyes on the most beautiful pair of emerald eyes. I felt the whole world come to a stop. The entire room dimmed around me and it was like only the two of us existed. I hungrily drank the details of the man in front of me. He had dark brown hair which reached his collar. His face had sharp angular features and a perfect straight nose with lips shaped to perfection. He was dressed in a sharp black suit and white shirt, but they did not hide the wide expanse of his broad shoulders. He was the epitome of perfection. I seriously couldn't find anything imperfect in him. I suddenly realized that his eyes were also roving over me. They came to rest on my eyes and I saw his lips move as a growl came out of it, "MINE".