Chapter 9

I rub my eyes tiredly as the Fire Ferrets train.

"What's the big idea with making me train this early in the morning? The morning is evil." Korra yawns as she catches a ball.

"And yet you thought it'd be a good idea to drag me along" I sigh as my eyes try to close yet again.

"We're the rookies, so we get the worst time slot in the gym." Bolin explains as he catches the ball Korra tosses.

After catching the ball, Mako responds with "And you're the rookiest of us all. We gotta get you up to speed if we wanna survive in the tournament. Deal with it.". Then he throws the ball at Korra, who looks annoyed.

"You deal with it!" Korra hisses before throwing the ball at Mako, hitting him right in the stomach and sending him backwards.

"There are my little hard-working street urchins. It's an honor to finally meet you, Avatar." a man spoke as he walks up to Korra and puts his hand on her shoulder.

"And you are ...?" Korra asks, her tone annoyed.

"Butakha. I run this whole pro-bending shebang. Here's your winnings from the last match. Ah ah ah, not so fast. , you owe me for the Avatar's new gear, gym and equipment rentals from last month, rent on your apartment, and a personal loan for groceries." Butakha says, leaving Mako with an empty hand.

With a frown, Mako closes his hand.

Mako then glares at Bolin, who rubs his stomach "What? I'm a growing boy!"

"Oh, and one more small item of business: The Fire Ferrets need to ante up thirty thousand yuans for the championship pot." Butakha states, causing Bolin's mouth to hang.

"Thirty thousand yuans?!" he exclaims, as the small red animal hangs for dear life on his arm.

"Sorry, kids. You got 'til the end of the week to come up with the dough, or else, you're out of the tournament." he states before walking away.

"You wouldn't happen to have a secret Avatar bank account overflowing with gold, would you?" Bolin asks, causing Korra to pull out her pockets.

"I got nothing. I've never really needed money. I've always had people taking care of me." Korra states, making Mako look angry.

"Then I wouldn't say you have nothing." Mako says as he puts the ball they were throwing into a bag.

"Sorry, I didn't mean —" Korra says, but Bolin interrupts. "No, it's all right. It's just ever since we lost our parents, we've been on our own." he says, making me look down.

"I lost mine too, never even got to meet them" I sigh as my hand clutches the boomerang Grandma gave me. 

"I'm sorry" Bolin says, a frown on his face as he puts a hand on my shoulder. "I'm so sorry. I didn't know." Korra says as she also puts a hand on Bolin's shoulder.