Chapter Nineteen

Jessica huffs and looks around her new room. This time she did not have the urge to unpack everything right away. For some reason, she couldn't bring herself to even open one box. So instead, everything lay around just as Tony's robots had left them a few days ago. 

She stares at the room for a little longer before Jess quickly walks out of it, her mind not being able to handle the thoughts anymore. She passes Katie, who was in the kitchen trying to explain things to Jen, and quickly slides into the elevators that seemed to be open and waiting for her. 

The New York Streets were as busy as ever and no one seemed to notice Jess despite the lost look on her face. So, she allowed herself to just follow the crowd as her mind went in different directions. She figured she was just like her father in this way, always trying to come up with a solution and always looking at things from a statistical point of view. She hated and loved it at the same time. 

Avengers Tower
Lab

"So, you've been avoiding your daughter while trying to fix your son?" Bruce questions while cleaning his glasses.

"I hear your judging tone Banner." Tony mutters while focusing his attention on the papers in front of him.

"Well, I'd focus on the one that's going to stay here longer." Bruce shrugs. "Not the one who's gone in the head."

"Don't say that." Tony replies.

"You and I both know it's true, we've been able to fix the brainwashed faster than this or at least make them as stable as Barnes. We haven't been able to crack the surface with him." Bruce explains.

"I'm not the only one doing the avoiding game here!" Tony finally snaps. "I don't see her coming here to talk to me either!" 

"Because she's a kid." Bruce whispers. "And you're an adult...well you look like one. Don't know how people think you act like one." 

"Not funny." Tony replies.

"Go find her." Bruce states. "Talk to her."

"She's not even in the tower," Tony argues.

"She's in Times Square." Bruce smartly replies. 

"How do y-"

"You're not the only genius." Bruce scoffs before taking the papers from his science partner, Tony rolls his eyes before calling for his suit. "No."

"Excuse me?" Tony demands as the suit parts never come to him.

"You're driving like a normal father." Bruce quickly orders. 

"God, when did you become the freaking dad police." Tony scoffs before taking the keys from Bruce's hand, he walks over to his favorite car and turns back to his best friend with a look, who just raises his eyebrows and gestures for him to get in the car, Tony groans before forcing himself to climb into the car. "What if she's doing stuff?!"

"Tony, she's more innocent than you, what could she possibly be doing?!" 

Times Square
Jessica

Jessica sighs and falls onto one of the red steps, her head in her hands and her eyes focusing on all of the billboards that displayed different ads. Her mind wanders to how people could stay here (or close to here) at night when it was practically as bright as day twenty-four-seven.

A woman bumps into Jess's side and mutters apologies before she disappears back into the crowd. Jess hadn't even had the time to tell her that it was no big deal. She sighs again and looks up at the gloomy, dark sky. A water droplet falls and, for some unknown reason, Jess is able to follow it down until it explodes on top of a man's bald head. 

She tilts her head to the side in confusion and looks around to see more falling. Quickly, Jess shakes her head and scolds herself. It was rain for crying out loud. She used to watch it every back home and she'd always watch the first few drops hit the sidewalk, why was this bothering her so much now? Maybe she was just overly tired, yes that had to be it.

"Look, Jessica." A man clears his throat and awkwardly sits down next to her. Jess jumps and turns to see Tony, who hadn't noticed she wasn't paying attention, was the culprit. "I know you may be mad at me and I'm sorry okay? I'm new at this whole 'being a dad' thing. I'm not used to actually having to take care of a human being when I can barely care for myself! I get why you're not talking to me-"

"Tony?" Jessica interrupts.

"Can't you see I'm trying to have a moment?" He jokes but it comes out all awkward and forced.

"I'm not mad." Jess shakes her head. "I've just been...lost in thought I guess."

"Really? So you weren't ignoring me a few minutes ago on purpose?" He inquires.

"No, to be honest, I didn't even know you were there." She shrugs. "I was thinking about the rain."

"Oh thank god." Tony breathes while clapping his hands together. 

"Why? What'd you do?" Jess demands.

"Let's just say, it took me a few minutes to get the courage to come and talk to you." He chuckles. 

"Ah, okay." She laughs.

"Have you eaten today?" Tony questions, Jess hesitantly shakes her head no. "Okay, then I'll take you to get something." He announces while standing. "Anywhere you want to go, you let me know. My treat." 

"Okay." Jess smiles. "I...I've never actually had shawarma before and I-I heard you talking about it a few days ago." 

"I'm so glad you're my daughter."