Chapter 41

Aiden's POV –

"What the fuck Diego?" I dropped my head into my hands and peered out from my fingers. He was asking for my opinion on what type of necklace to buy Nina.

"Aiden, you know this is important to me, so please cooperate."

"I know that Diego, but why are you asking me of all people?" I muttered. "I have the judgment of a fish."

"I'm asking you because whether you like it or not, you're my best friend." He said with a dumbfound expression. "And as much as I hate to admit it, I value your opinion, no matter how suckish."

"Okay okay." I complained. "But honestly, I think she'll love whatever you get her."

"Shut up." Diego mumbled back. Truthfully, I was slightly apprehensive about Nina; I didn't want him to be hurt by her. I'd witnessed her charm and I'd also watched as Diego become oblivious to all else but her. Maybe it was my own selfishness coming into play; he was the only person who had stood by my, grew up with me, tolerated me and had kept me in check. I guess I was scared he would leave me.

"Aid, I know why you're pissed about Nina." Diego commented his eyes still glued to his phone screen. "You know I'm not going to leave you - or the pack."

"You confirmed my suspicions - you really are turning into a pussy."

April had been avoiding me since I kissed her and to be honest, I wasn't really sure what to do in that situation – girls usually chased me, not avoided me. I frowned to myself and tapped my cigarette on the ash tray. I'd even told her I'd wanted to kiss her and she was still skirting around me – I'm fairly certain that it was her first kiss. There was also something nagging at the back of my mind; the day we kidnapped her – a random girl from the street – I wasn't sure if it was that random anymore. There must have been a reason I took her, a completely stupid idea at the time that suddenly felt as though it made sense.

I glanced up at a disturbance in the corner of my eye. Diego also looked up in surprise, but a huge grin erupted on both of our faces as we realized who it was. Barbara walked towards us, a smile curving her lips upwards as she perched on my sun lounge at the edge.

I raised my sunglasses and whistled jokingly. She glared. "Shut up." Diego and I burst into laughter, our thoughts veering towards the same conclusion.

"It's just... it's been a long, long time since we last saw you and well... you look pretty different from your 14 year old self." Diego explained, leaning over to ruffle her hair.

I puffed my cigarette, my body automatically relaxing as the familiar feeling coursed through my body. Assessing Barbara, my eyes widened behind my sunglasses at how much she'd changed. Since I'd last seen her, she'd definitely blossomed into a woman – her body no longer belonged to a tall, lanky teenager and her face had also lost its baby fat, giving way to cheekbones. All in all she looked like someone I would typically find attractive, but that didn't appeal to me anymore.

She was my friend not a fucking conquest.

"So," Barbara whispered. "Your mate. You haven't fully introduced us yet."

"You only arrived yesterday, be patient." I pulled a face, standing up and stretching my muscles.

"Fine. But I want to meet her soon!" She yelled after me, a smile filling her voice. It was crazy how well me, Diego and Barbara had readopted our 14-year old friendship again. It was nice.

I ran another hand through my hair as my mind drifted back to April – instantly, her voice and frightening, bordering crazy humour filled my mind making me smile slightly. If she wanted to avoid me, fine. But it wasn't really fine. I'd confided in her too much when I kissed her and comforted her and spoke of my mother and that made me angry – she'd seen me at my weakest and left me.