Chapter Ten: They

++Chapter Ten: They++

"When you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't," -Thomas Edison

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

Before I knew it we were in the car, and Xavier had a blindfold in his hand. I raised an eyebrow at him. Was he really going to try and put that thing back on me? I could tell he was staring at me intensely, waiting for me to submit to him.

"We are going to eat soon aren't we? Do you want to have to feed me by hand?" I asked, my tone sassy. He sat in the driver's seat, and I stared into his sunglasses, seeing the glare of my own reflection in them. I didn't need to see his face to know he was mad.

"You know, I kind of hate you," he stated, reaching his arm back and tossing the blindfold in the backseat.

I grinned at him, "That's probably a good thing," I stated, not even knowing the meaning behind my own words. I was just happy to have gotten my way. A small victory over Xavier to me was a big victory.

He turned the keys in the ignition, and the engine roared to life. I looked around the interior finally getting to picture it. Weird, I thought it would have a white interior. I expected him to have the typical forest fragrance card too but he didn't have that. The interior was black, including the dashboard. His car was so pristine and clean except for the crunchie bar wrappers in his cupholders. I was shocked. I pictured it completely different.

We drove up the dirt road, the car shaking back and forth again. I looked over at Xavier, who was wearing his sunglasses and baseball hat again. Although it's getting to be late September and there is absolutely no sun out whatsoever. He was wearing a grey hoodie and black sweatpants.

"Why do you care so much about being disguised?" I ask him, frowning.

He shrugged his shoulders as he pulled out onto the highway. The car stopped shaking automatically as soon as we got on the smooth pavement. I didn't recognize where we were but I barely went out of Toronto. I wondered where we were. All I could see was trees, virtually nothing else. I wasn't a tree expert either and couldn't tell you exactly what trees were near us.

"I don't want you to escape or something and run into you two years later at a Christmas party," he said, his tone quite serious.

"Have something against Christmas parties?" I asked, a smirk on my face.

He shook his head, "No, I just would rather not have you recognize me and then have me arrested."

I decided to shut up and be quiet for a bit. As much as I enjoyed pissing off Xavier, I would rather not have him pull over and kill me. I still don't know what this guy is capable of, just because he brought me his sisters clothes, bought me makeup, and hasn't tried to hurt me yet, doesn't mean he wouldn't.

We continued along the highway for a long time, an hour to be almost precise. My stomach was just rumbling. That was when I noticed a building, and then another one, and another. I peer out the window at the buildings, glancing at them. There is a school, a Tim Hortons, a couple restaurants, and further up a hill there were some houses.

I looked around for maybe a sign or something, distinguishing what town this is. I don't spot a single sign or statue or plaque or anything to possibly give away where we are. It was like he planned this. For all I know we could be in the US or halfway across Quebec. Actually no. I could cross something off my list. There was a Tim Hortons, we were definitely not in the US. Xavier pulled into a McDonald's parking lot and drove towards the drive thru. He pulled the car up to the speaker and menu while rolling his window down.