Chapter Two.

"Like hell are you taking my child away from me." I snapped at him, and he titled his head back.

"Rachel, you don't understand." He sighed. "She's in danger, you have to let her go with me."

I widened my eyes at him. "In danger from who?" I asked, feeling faint. "I'm not letting her go anywhere without me." I told him, crossing my arms across my chest.

He reached out to place a hand on my shoulder but I jerked away from it. "Let me come in and explain everything." He told me. "We've only got a day, two at the most, before they come here looking for her."

I cut my eyes back to the front door. "You can't come in." I whispered. "My fiancé, he doesn't know anything about..."

"I see." Pedro pursed his lips. "Well, now's a good a time as any I suppose."

I shook my head to him. "I'm not telling him!" I said. "Are you insane, he'd think I'm a total psycho if I told him the truth."

Pedro rubbed his scruffy jaw. "I don't see what choice you have." He sighed exhaustedly. "You've got to let me take Rose, and you have to return to Castrum de Petra."

"No!" I told him again. "I'm not splitting up from her."

"Rachel, the people who are coming already know about you." He told me. "They know what you look like, your scent, where you live, all of it. You've got to let me take Rose somewhere she'll be safe." He explained. "They don't know yet anything about her other than her rumored existence. The only chance at keeping her safe is to let her go with me." The tears were already falling from my cheeks, and Pedro pulled me into a hug. "I know how scary this is, I may not have ever officially met her, but I love her too because she is a part of you." He whispered. "Please let me keep her safe."

I wiped my tears and looked up at him. "I'll come to Castrum de Petra if it will protect her, but you have to let me keep her with me."

"You don't understand." He said shaking his head. "The people don't know that she exists." He told me. "They only just found out that you are alive a few nights ago." He explained hurriedly. "We don't know who yet, but someone close to the council leaked the information that you were alive to the entire public." I was still confused, but he continued. "Then they sent word to a small group of rebels that you are harboring the heir to the throne." He said. "Now, right now, that is just a rumor, but those rebels will come to find her. The public doesn't know about Rose, and I don't think the rebels will give away the information, because they want her for themselves, so you can't bring her with you to Ireland. If the whole public finds out, you'll never be able to leave and yours and Rose's chance at a normal life will be gone."

My knees that had been threatening to give out on me, finally did, and Pedro caught me swiftly. "I can't do this...I can't let her go." I whispered in horror. "She's my baby, I need to be the one to protect her."

"Rachel, you are." He told me, steadying me easily. "The best way to protect her right now is to just go with the plan." He said. "Calvin has an idea, and as long as everyone executes it perfectly, you will be free to go back to your life with Rose." His bodied stilled and he looked towards the door. "Your friend is coming." He whispered and I quickly tried to compose myself.

Logan cracked open the door and looked out at us with a worried look on his face. "Hey, babe, what's going on?" He asked, then noticing my expression he came out onto the porch in his boxers to hold me protectively at his side. "Who are you?" He demanded of Pedro.

I sniffled, putting my hand up on his bare chest. "Logan, this is my... uncle, Pedro." I lied. "He, uh...He came to tell me my aunt died today."

Logan looked down on me with a sad expression, and I could see Pedro's look of disapproval out of the corner of my eye. "Oh, babe, I'm sorry." He said, hugging me tightly to his side. "I didn't know you had an aunt, or an Uncle Pedro." He said holding out his hand. "It's nice to meet you," He said shaking Pedro's hand and I could see the surprise on his face when he felt how cold Pedro's hands were. "I wish it was under better circumstances." He said softly. "Come on in."