25. Third Time the Charm

Jennifer's POV:

I smiled weakly at Nik, "I think there's something wrong with me."

I tried to laugh but I started coughing up blood. My legs collapsed from beneath me and I fell to the ground... or at least I should have. Nik had moved at speed and suddenly we were sitting in the position that we sat in when we were in the cabin. He was sitting on the ground and had pulled me to his chest. I coughed again, feeling the blood leave my mouth, I fought through the pain as I looked at him.

"I know why you're here?" my voice was barely audible but I knew he would hear me anyway.

The sweat was pouring out of me, my hair matted to the skin it touched. Nik gently brushed the hair off my forehead before he spoke, his voice gentle.

"And why would that be sweetheart?"

"You're here to kill me." I explained matter of factly.

He raised an eyebrow at me, "Is that a fact?"

"Yes..." I fell into another fit of coughing. I could feel the blood I was spitting up running down my chin, "... I killed your... your hybrids. I sided with the Salvatore's. But I'm afraid you're a bit late. I'm pretty sure I'm already dying."

Every breath I took felt like I was swallowing razor blades. I knew I didn't have long. I used the bit of strength I had to reach up, I placed my hand on his cheek.

"I am glad you're here though. I love my friends but..." I struggled to get the words out.

Nik covered my hand with his own, "My damsel who's not a damsel."

He pulled me up against his chest, he lowered his head so his mouth was at my ear. But the pain was so strong I couldn't hear the words he whispered, he was pushing something against my lips, then I blacked out.

------------------------------

I was in a bed and it took me a moment to realise the room. I was in the Salvatore house. I climbed out of the broken bed and looking around the destroyed bedroom it all came rushing back.

The hallucinations, the pain, the hatred... oh no! The girl in the Grill, did I kill her?

I heard the front door open and using my speed I raced down the stairs to my group of friends who all looked both shocked and surprised to see me. I stood in front of them, none of them spoke. They just stared at me. Noticing the hole on Damon's shirt I spoke to him first.

"OK, I know I went a bit crazy and tried to kill you... and I am kinda sorry for that. You're still not my favourite person, but I'm not a killer..." I took a deep breath before continuing. "That girl at the Grille... did I... I mean is she..." my voice trailed off.

They all snapped out of their shock. Caroline and Elena ran to me throwing their arms around me. Caroline spoke first.

"Oh Jenni, thank god. We couldn't find you, we thought you were dead. And don't worry, Damon fed the girl his blood and then compelled her and the barman after you left. They are both fine and won't remember a thing."

I felt the relief wash over me. I pulled away from the hug and walked into the library, I poured myself a whiskey and sat down. The others followed me. All but Damon sat down, watching me. He stood close to the doorway.

"But how are you not dead?" Stefan asked, "Not that I'm not happy you're not. What happened?"

I sorted through the events in my head.

"I think it was when the hybrid bit me. I remember I was tired and fell asleep. When I woke up it was like I couldn't control my own body. I was just so hungry... and angry." I paused for a second to lower my drink before continuing, "When I was drinking from the bags downstairs I saw my mom. She looked so sad at what she saw... all that kept running through my head, was 'this is all Damon's fault'."

I couldn't look up at them so I busied myself pouring another drink. "I had to find Damon and kill him. My parents... me... he destroyed everything. That's when I made it to the Grill."

"But how are you here? There's only one cure for a werewolf bite and Klaus turned Stefan away. You killed his hybrids, there was no way he was going to help," Elena interrupted.

Ignoring the interruption I kept talking. "After Liz shot me I ran. I made it to the woods and by that stage I knew I was dying. The pain was crushing me, as were the... voices. I just wanted it to end. Of course that's when the hybrid appeared."

I had everyone's attention, you could hear a pin drop before I barked out a harsh laugh.

"Yeah, I know, it really hasn't been my day, week or month. But honestly, when that hybrid dick showed up I was ready to die," I paused, as I thought back to that moment a smile crept over my lips, "But I was saved... again."

I looked up at them all.

"Who was it? Who saved you?" Damon asked, but from the look on his, and everyone else's face, they know exactly who saved me.

"The bad guy," I answered, "for the third time the bad guy saved my life." I stood up, "and I think it's high time I thanked him." 

Before anyone had a chance to respond I ran from the house.