3. It's Not Like You Have to Hide From Everyone

Once I arrive at the school, I sit in my car for a few minutes, collecting my thoughts, and throwing up my walls- so hopefully I won't hear his thoughts.

The day was successful. Up until American Literature.

The dark haired boy- whose name I learned was Ridge, was not very discreet.

Firstly, for over half of the class period, he was turned completely around in his chair, looking straight back at me, staring. And if I wasn't mistaken, the kid was telekinetic. That was the second thing.

After the fifth or sixth attempt to shove my glasses back up my nose, I stop trying.

Stupid kid could get caught. Or worse. I shake my head, exasperated.

I might have noticed when he turned back around with a disappointed sigh and a shrug.

And I might have blushed when I saw what he was doing with his hands as he talked to the girl next to him.

Jeez.

...

I may not have heard Ridge's thoughts, but that certainly didn't stop me from hearing his voice. And boy, did I.

He was sassy. And loud. I have no idea how he had so many friends, but everywhere he went (I was very aware of him. I think he was following me.) he was talking to someone. My only friend was my sister, Heather. So I couldn't imagine how he could be friendly with so many people all the time.

It wasn't that I had never had friends before. Of course I did. But I learned very quickly that friends were not a smart thing for me to have. Originally, I just felt bad for invading their privacy. The more I got to know them, the harder it was to not listen to their thoughts. But as time wore on, and I got older, when things got rough, I found myself unintentionally thinking about how easy it would be to just... control them.

Fights would happen less, and if they happened at all, they would be resolved quickly.

I refused to betray my friends like that, though, and so I just simply stopped speaking to them, and eventually they stopped trying to speak to me.

High school consisted of me and my sister from then-on-out.

Occasionally I would have some brave soul wander over and try to start conversation, and sometimes I would humor them. But I never had anything more than acquaintances with anyone.

It may sound lonely, and I guess it can be at times. But I always saw it as the lesser of two evils.

Be lonely, or destroy the people I care about from the inside out. And I refused to do that.

My sister, Heather, was still in high school. She was a senior, and every bit as musical as I was. We got that talent from out mother.

Raechel Woolf. And man, could she sing. And play the piano. And just about any other instrument you could name. She be damned if she let any of her children grow up without being able to properly read music, and play at least one instrument as confidently as they would speak their first language.

And thus Heather and I were taught by the best tutor anyone could ask for.

The piano became my instrument of choice- I found that classical music was something that soothed me more than anything else. Sometimes mom told me it was because of my gift but I didn't mind either way. Heather, on the other hand, chose the guitar. She thought it made her look edgy.

I shake my head and laugh just at the thought of it. My sister, the rebel. She had long hair that was naturally a light brown, but as soon as she could, she dyed it black. She insisted that she looked like she was born into the wrong family with that hair of hers. My mother and I both had hair as black as ink, and our father had hair the color of chocolate. And so she dyed her hair.

"Any Woolf without dark hair is no Woolf at all."

My parents were born in England, and when they moved to the states to get married and start a family, they brought a couple of things with them. Like their thick British accents, and their tea. Both of which I acquired a taste for.

Thinking about my family, I pull my phone out of my pocket while I sit in the school cafeteria, and I open up a message from Heather.

Hey Sabs. Miss you! Call me tonight.

I make a mental note to call my sister back, and I stand from my chair in the cafeteria, making a note of where Ridge is so I don't go that way. Then I dump my food and head home.

Perks of a meal plan. I don't have to make myself lunch. I smirk to myself, and make it to my car without any interruption from Ridge.

...

When I make it to my apartment, I put in the first DVD I find, and curl up on my couch with a mug of warm tea, and a book for American Literature.

As the first notes of the musical I'd put in start, I sing along under my breath, taking comfort in the sense of security that settles over me as the music progresses.

".. Come to me, Angel."

I hum to myself until the end credits are rolling, my tea is finished, and I have successfully fallen asleep on my couch, only to wake up to the sound of my phone, which is vibrating violently on the table next to me.

Jolting awake, the book in my lap slides to the ground, and I answer my phone.

"Heather! Hi, sorry!"

"Sabs! I can't believe you haven't texted or called me yet! How is college?"

I smile as I hear my sister's voice on the other side of the phone. She was really exuberant. All the time.

"College is fine, Heather. Everyone here is so talented. I swear, I saw a kid just today who could draw an exact replica of the Mona Lisa!" I laugh, as I only can when I talk to Heather.

"How about it! Have you made any friends yet?"

When I don't answer, Heather makes an annoyed sound in the back of her throat.

"Sabs, you shouldn't close yourself off like this." Dropping her voice to a whisper, I hear a door close nearby. She was probably moving into her bedroom or the bathroom. "You and I both know that you can control yourself now. You deserve to make some friends." She sighs. "And it's not like you have to hide from everyone. Mom and I know."

"You know that's different Heather. Bloody hell, I can't just go around telling everyone that I can read their minds. Or better yet! Control them!"

Heather lets out a huff of frustration, because we've had this talk more than once.

"You need to make friends you can trust, Sabs. You know I'm just looking out for you. I want you to be happy."

"I know Heather. And I love you for that. Just let me handle this my way. It'll be easier."

I don't hear what she says after that but it sounds a lot like "ducking doubt it" but she hung up before I could clarify.

Letting out a sigh of relief, a put my phone back down, and I turn off the TV.

"It's not like you have to hide from everyone."

Oh but I do, Heather. If only you understood.

...

LzzyLove here! Thank you for reading.

Since you guys don't know me like you know @Insomniatic_Love I would love for you guys to ask me questions so you can get to know me. You can do that in the comments here, or you can personally message me. I will answer questions at the end of my chapters (the odd ones) similarly to Insomniatic_love.

You all are gems!