Chapter 4: A Friend

THREE DAYS LATER

Third Person POV

Danny and Dick sat at the dinner table while Alfred placed plates of food in front of them. Dick's eyes drifted towards the empty chair at the head of the table. "Where's Bruce?" he asked.

"I'm afraid Master Bruce had a meeting this evening," Alfred replied.

Dick frowned, "He has a meeting every night. Who does he see?" Dick rested his elbows on the table and held his chin in his hands. Danny sat beside Dick, moving his food around on his plate. His eyes were unfocused.

Alfred sighed, he was going to have a talk with Master Bruce when he returned from his 'meeting'.

I AM THE GREAT AND POWERFUL LINE BREAK SUBSTITUTING FOR THE ALL MIGHTY LINE BREAK! THAT IS ALL! CONTINUE READING!

Batman sat perched on the top of an abandoned building near the docks. He pulled out a pair of binoculars and focused on a small building. There were lights on inside. Batman's intel had informed him that a few men belonging to Zucco's gang were hiding out there.

Gripping the edges of his cape, Batman glided down to the building. He landed softly on the roof. Walking over to the edge he spotted a boarded up window. He could he chatter going on inside.

"Ha! A royal flush! I win," a gruff voice said.

A couple groans could be heard, "Man, I'm sick of waiting around in dis dump. Where's da boss?" a squeaky voice asked.

"He's still layin' low after the Flyin' Grayson's thing," a smooth voice stated.

"Really? It's been what? 3 days? The heats gotta be off 'im by now," Gruff Voice said.

Some shuffling sounds. "Not a chance. The two Grayson kids are alive. Cops think the boss is gonna try to shut them up. No witnesses ya know?" replied Smooth Voice.

"Why don't he jus' leave Gotham?" asked Squeaky Voice.

"Too risky with so many cops on the lookout for his mug. I even heard Batman's out lookin' for 'im," answered Smooth Voice.

Batman dropped down beside the window and peered inside. There were 3 men sitting at a table. There was one bulky man with a torn hat wearing a blue suit. He had a wide face and meaty hands. Beside him was a gangly man with stringy blonde hair. He had a thin face and wore a brown suit. Sitting beside the gangly man was a well dressed man with slicked back black hair and a small black mustache. He wore a navy blue suit and in his hands he held a deck of cards. Resting against the table were 3 machine guns.

"I've heard from the boss recently. He's hidin' out somewhere and he said he'll be outta here by the end of the week," the man wearing the navy blue suit said, revealing himself to be Smooth Voice.

Batman's hand reached for his utility belt. He deposited a few small smoke bombs into his hand as he prepared to crash through the boarded window.

The gangly man spoke, his voice being the squeaky one, "What 'bout us? What're we gonna do?"

Batman tossed the smoke bombs through the boards and they landed on the floor. "What da-" Gruff Voice began but he was quickly cut off by the smoke escaping from the bombs. The men started hacking and coughing and Batman crashed through the boarded window.

"It's...... da Batman!" Squeaky Voice shouted between coughs. The men reached for their nearby guns. Batman was able to grab two and toss them out the window before the men reached them, but Smooth Voice was able to get his hands on the remaining gun.

Gruff Voice charged at Batman and swung his meaty fist. Batman ducked under the fist and used Gruff Voice's momentum to swing him over his shoulder and onto the ground. Batman whirled around, only to stare directly at Smooth Voice.