seven

"honey, what's gotten you all down?" a sweet, loud-mouthed girl asks.

"nothing," i sigh, stirring coffee slowly.

"you can talk to me," she continues, pulling out a seat across from me and sitting down. her long fingernails tap onto the wood of the table in the break room.

"it's really nothing all that important," i murmur.

"well, it must be pretty important if it's got you looking miserable. i'm melanie by the way, you're luke right? you've been the centre of all the gossip down in the office recently," the pretty girl chats, trying to make me feel comfortable. it does the complete opposite.

"people have been talking about me?" i ask, the tone of my voice coming out much harsher than i expected.

"i won't lie to you, people have been curious on how you got the job so easily considering you're not fully qualified. we all know that getting into the clifford corporations is a tough job and he only lets in experts; so to see him let in a rookie, people are bound to talk." melanie sighs. "people have gone as far as saying that you slept with him for the job."

"i have not!" i deny angrily. "who said that?"

"word travels, i can't be sure." melanie frowns, scratching her brow.

"it's not like michael has any interest in me, he's all over jason." i scowl even deeper at the though of those two.

"is that what's got you frowning?" melanie sympathizes.

"he just doesn't care about me," i whine, feeling like a toddler who's desperate for attention. i hate this feeling.

"that's just how michael is, he's a tough nut to crack. a closed book is what you would call him. i've known him for seven years now but we're still as close as strangers. he won't make any efforts to come talk to you, you've got to put in all the work in your relationship. that's just how he's wired." melanie explains wisely, picking at the nail polish on her fingernails.

"he wants jason," i roll my blue eyes.

"yeah, that's what we all believe. they've been all touchy-feely since jason came to work here. i know it's not what you want to hear, but it's the truth." melanie pats my shoulder sadly.

i sip at my coffee, feeling drained. it's only nine in the morning but i already feel a raging headache starting.

"whatever, it's not like i care or anything." i lie right through my teeth.

melanie offers me a sweet smile before standing up and scooting out her seat. "it's been a pleasure to finally meet you, luke. nice chat, hope we can talk again soon. i really must go get back to work now, i don't want to upset mr clifford."

i clench my jaw and drink more coffee. two or three other workers come in and out the break room but no one stops and talks to me the way melanie did. they simply get a coffee, an apple or granola bar and then leave. quick and easy.

no one really catches my attention. except jason. he comes skipping into the break room with a huge, winning smile on his face. i hate how perfect he is, i hate how average i am.

"what do you want?" i scowl when i notice jason smirking at me.

"oh, don't worry about me. i'm only going to be here for a minute. i'm just making mr clifford his morning coffee," jason says innocently, batting his lashes.

"that's not your fucking job," i scowl at him, angrily digging my palms in the table and standing up.

"yeah, it isn't. it's yours. but when mr clifford buzzed your office and had no answer, he just asked me to go along and get me his coffee instead since i was already in his office anyways." jason winks, stirring milk into the coffee. "he wants to talk you as well. that's quite the record isn't it, being fired on the same week you started?"

"he's not going to fire me," i roll my eyes. i have my doubts though, what if he does?

"hmm, okay then." jason replies, sounding bored as he merrily skips away.

i follow him down the path to mr clifford's office. i smile a hidden grin; i notice that jason made michael a hot coffee. michael only drinks ice coffee. jason enters the office first, not making any efforts to hold the door open for me to enter behind him.

"there you are luke," michael says stonily, giving me an emotionless stare.

"hi," i mumble awkwardly.

"you're aware that i hired you to take care of my personal needs? it's an easy job, i really don't ask you to do much; so when i ring you up for a coffee, i expect that you're there to get it." michael says sternly.

jason smirks cooly as he sets down the piping hot coffee before michael and slips away. i hate the satisfaction on his face, i want to punch it off.

"i'm sorry sir," i apologize sincerely.

"i don't want to see this again. literally. get this trash hot coffee out of here and make me my usual coffee please," michael blinks at me, humour overtaking the serious-ness.

"of course sir," i grin, taking the murky blackroasted coffee away.

it's a shame that jason has slithered back to his office because i want him to see me pour his shitty, failure coffee down the drain.

too bad.

-

i'm sorry that this was a trash chapter and that it's been such a long time since i've updated but i honestly have the worst writers block. i have no inspiration nor motivation to continue updating any of my stories and i'm really, really sorry. i'll try to update as much as possible but school's started again and i have so much bloody homework and exams and shit.

all the love,

- rose