KABANATA 9

Pagkabalik na pagkabalik namin sa bahay ay agad akong pumunta sa kwartong tinulugan ko noo at kinuha ang cellphone. I remembered, may inin-stall na application si mommy dito sa phone ko. It's a about Philippine History, it was a mobile version of her book.

Nang mahanap ko ang phone ay agad ko itong binuksan. The time and date are still the same, June 11, 2016 11:35 pm. 'Di ko na ito pinansin at binuksan ang app. Thank God 53% pa ang battery.

I clicked the chapter that says "Philippine Revolution". I didn't read the whole chapter. I just scanned it looking for dates.

August 19, 1896, Katipunan was discovered by a Spanish friar. August 23, 1896, Cry of Pugad Lawin took place.

I gasped when I read the next paragraph.

"August 29, 1896." napatakip ako ng bibig dahil sa nabasa.

On August 29, midnight, they will attack Manila led by Andres Bonifacio. But they lost dueto the timely arrival of Spanish reinforcements and their wise arrangements.

Today's August 24. That means.

Crap.

I... I gotta go tell Antonio.

"You can't." napatalon ako dahil sa gulat nang biglang sumulpot sa harapan ko si Karlos.

I glared at the kid, "What the hell, Karlos? Stop popping out of nowhere! I could've died of heart attack!"

"You can't tell anyone about it, Kristin." Karlos said in a cold tone.

"But-"

"I didn't brought you here to change history or the future. I brought you here for a different reason." The last sentence ticked me off. I stomped my feet and crossed my arms.

"Then tell me! Tell me what's your reason for bringing me here! I can't continue guessing, I wanna go home, Karlos!" I scowled at him. My blood is boiling. He sent me here and won't tell me the reason why. He wouldn't even tell me how to get the hell out of here.

I couldn't see any emotions in Karlos' eyes. He was just standing there, staring at me. What the hell is wrong with this kid?

He sighed, "I can't tell you yet."

"Tell me now, Karlos. I know that.. that reason will help me get back to my own timeline." He turned his back on me and was about to take a step but I stopped him, "If you won't tell me then I have no choice but to interfere and change history!"

"I already told you, you can't. You do not belong in this timeline. One mistake and you will cease to exist in the future. I just came here to warn you, Kristin." And after saying those words, he disappeared.

I was left there, rooted to the spot. I don't know what to do. Karlos' dead serious. If I interfere with the flow of history, I will cease to exist in my own timeline. What is the purpose of me being here?Why'd he bring me here? What should I do? Should I go with the flow, or take action?

Napahilamos ako ng mukha at umupo sa sahig.

What the hell is wrong with me? Why did I think of helping the Katipunan by telling them what would happen? The hell I care if they die for this devastated country. The hell I care if they wasted their lives protecting this country. The hell I care if they all died trying to break free from the grasp of Spain. The hell I care.

But, I feel sad. Why?

Then, Antonio's face came flashing in my mind. My heart beat faster.

Napasabunot ako. Is it because of him? Do I feel sad because of him? Because I know that he'll waste his life for people like me? He'll sacrifice his life just to gain indepence?