Eighteen: Insert Some Kind of Witty Name Here

“So did you hear about the sleep out tomorrow night?”

            My ears instantly prick up at the sound of Tom’s voice. Sleep out? I haven’t heard anything about that. My eyes flicker towards the brown haired guy, who is gazing round the table expectantly. His small lips are curved into a smile, which lights up his features all the way to his lightly freckled cheeks.

            “Um, no...”

            It’s the day after the Wal-Mart incident, and unfortunately, my lips haven’t been connected with Blake’s since our encounter between the frozen peas in the store (not exactly the height of romance, but you know, you can’t be picky when a complete and utter Sex God is offering you a kiss). Although I did agree to the ‘not serious’ thing, I can’t help feeling a little disappointed that we have to act like the trip to Wal-Mart was a completely normal one, and did not involve any inter-tongue contact between us.

            Even Savannah doesn’t know.

            Which is kind of unfair, seeing as I’m constantly bugging her to spill the beans about Danny. Even though she insists there’s nothing going on. Ha, dream on, Savannah. I may be slightly ditzy, but I can definitely tell that those two want in each other’s pants.

            Okay, maybe not pants. My best friend’s not a slut, but it’s pretty obvious they both have the desire to stick their tongues down each other’s throats.

            Cindy tosses her blonde hair (which, I noticed, has been straightened into the neatest style I have ever seen) and grins excitedly at Tom’s mention of the sleep out. “Oh my gosh, I’m so excited!” she looks at Blake, with a simpering smile. “Aren’t you?”

            “Yeah,” he responds coolly, returning her gaze. Maybe it’s just my overactive and completely jealous imagination, but they seem to have some kind of weird eye communication going on between them. Flirting? Probably. I know Blake’s not a ‘commitment kind of guy’, or whatever the hell he wants to label it, but come on! He kissed me! Doesn’t that count for anything?

            Probably not. Especially since for all I know, he could be spending his nights in Cindy’s bed.

            Great, now that image is permanently planted in my head.

            “I didn’t know anything about a sleep out,” I say warily, not entirely sure why I’ve missed this blatantly crucial piece of information.

            The most likely explanation is that I was deep in my own reverie about Blake whilst it was being announced, completely oblivious to the real world.

            Which, you know, is usually what happens.

            Tom reverts his slightly creeped out gaze from his flirtatious brother to me, transforming it into a more normal one as he does so.  “Oh, they do it every year,” he informs me. “There’s a place in the woods where we all camp out for a couple of nights. It’s pretty cool.”

            “Oh. Sounds good.”

            I won’t mention the fact that I’ve only ever been camping once with my family, and absolutely hated every minute of it.

            I’m sorry, but who can actually enjoy spending the night under a flimsy piece of canvas material, completely exposed to the bitter cold and every type of weird bug that happens to live in the forest? Not to mention it’s way too hard to survive without an electrical socket for my blow dryer.