19

N I N E T E E N

D A R I U S

I'm starting to believe that this search was seemingly more useless then anything. We had nothing to go off of in order to find Alice and Ellanore... and even if we did the storm that night was so bad it would have washed all traces of them being out here away. As far as I'm concerned we're just dragging things out at this point.

"You know we could always just turn back around." Stepping over a log covered with overgrown moss, I briefly looked to Alec. He looked to be deep in thought, his eyes solely trained on the map he happened to snatch from our fathers office firmly held in his hands. It was an old piece of paper, yellow and aging. The land has been broken down and renovated countless of times since then I doubted that that old map would point us in the right direction of anywhere. Though of course with Alec being so stubborn he was still willing to give it a try. "What are you looking for exactly?" Stuffing my hands in my pockets, I formally looked over his shoulder as I looked over the map as well.

"Old routes that we'd never think to take." He mumbled, his eyebrows arching together in a frown. "Covington Rd... maybe we should scout around that area."

Shaking my head I turned my attention away from the map and looked towards my idiotic brother. "Covington Rd? Are you crazy. You know we can't do that." I hated to sound like the obnoxious and reasonable one... but clearly Alec wasn't thinking straight. "With the sundown ritual came a treaty and we agreed that if he stays on his side of town then we'll tread to our own."

"Oh come on." Rolling up the map, Alec stuffed it into the bottom of his bag. "You and I both know that they never hold up their end of the agreement. So why should we hold our own?"

"Maybe we should just call it a day and try again tomorrow."

"You know you didn't have to volunteer to look for them." Alec's voice was laced with irritation. His eyebrows drawing together as he frowned. "It's no surprise to everyone how you feel about them... with them being human and all." Slinging his bag over his shoulder, Alec began to walk. His eyes solely trained on the path that he's marked for himself.

I wasn't bothered by the attitude that he held against me. "Your too kind for your own good brother." Shaking my head, I sighed. My lips slowly turning into a smirk of knowing. "You like this one... Ellanore." This wasn't just a mere statement of observation or a question. But a known fact. "Don't tell me that she has you wrapped around her finger already. Biding you to her every command and need." As the words slipped out of my mouth one by one, I only condemned it all to be true. Alec was always the gullible one of us two.

"She's different." He mumbled. "She's... special."

"Special?" Scoffing, I shook my head. "What she is is a distraction. A liability. Nothing more." I retorted.

It didn't surprise me that Alec was falling for Ellanore. He always held a soft spot for the ones who are chosen as our offering for the sundown ritual. A soft spot that soon grew into something more... something far too much for him to handle. He grew to love them. And though love is always a special and longing thing to look forward too; I could never decide whether or not that was a good thing when it came to Alec. His mind would get clouded by that love, so much so that he could never really think about what he was doing or willing to do. He gets reckless and his actions become impetuous. He does things that he later on regrets and leaves behind messes that I in turn have to clean up.

I didn't want to come off as if I were telling Alec what to do or seem as if I were making choices that he alone should decide... I simply was just voicing a fair warning.

Alec was silent for a moments hesitation or two. But despite his disagreement, he as well knew that I was right. "I won't mess up this time."

***

R A P H A E L

Angry.

That's the only word I could use to describe myself at this moment. I was angry. Not only at Ellanore and Alice... but at myself as well. For allowing them the chance to even fathom the idea of slipping right through my fingers.

I didn't care so much for Alice, she could always be replaced by another. But Ellanore... Ellanore was more special. She was of value to me... a great use for something much stronger and powerful then myself alone. I needed her, or more so her blood. Because with the experiment that I've been working on I've come to realize that the solution to my problem of error was a rare blood type. A blood type that only Ellanore happened to have.

AB- blood combined with that of our own could be something very lethal... something abnormal in the spiritual world as others would explain it. But if you inject that into the bloodstream of a werewolf, it'll manifest and change them. They'll become stronger of course. Much faster and have a sharper intellectual mind far beyond our own... but with these gifts as I liked to call it; came complications.

There were kinks and questionable errors that I myself would like to know the answer too. Of course I just needed Ellanore here, in order for that to happen.

"I've sent Vail out to scout the area and see what he can find." Coming into my office Vlad securely shut the door behind him for some sort of privacy. "I got those files you wanted as well." He stated. Dropping a stack of manila folders onto my desk, each stuffed with more papers then the last. "Care to explain to me why you needed them? I had to break protocol just to get these for you."

Looking through the folders I smiled. "These my friend contain everything I need to know about Ellanore and our pesky test subject." Rising from my chair, I moved to pour myself along with Vlad a glass of whiskey. "I know that they have her. And I also know they they're coming for him." Swiveling the drink around in my cup, I took a small sip of the burning substance. My jaw ticking as it slowly ran down the pathway of my throat. "But I my dear friend, I have a plan."

"Wait a second. Now we both agreed that we'd wait till we found the girl to go through with the process."

"Well change of plans. We're not." Opening one of the files on my desk, I briefly skimmed my eyes over the context that was sprawled over the flimsy pieces of papers.

I thought that I lost all chances of continuing through with this experiment, but as usually my wife saved my ass by giving me a sample of Ellanores blood that she's managed to swipe. She didn't tell me when she managed to do so. When I asked she just mentioned that I shouldn't overthink things, and to hope that this works... which it will.

I've already tried the process once before. And I've had quite sometime to rethink through the whole experience and find out what's wrong. I only had one shot with this vile of blood, and I tend to make it count.

"Call Emanuel and tell him to bring the others." I mumbled. Sighing, I leaned back against my desk. Overlooking the window as finished off the rest of my drink. "The faster we get this done the better."

Authors Note- I know this chapter doesn't seem long as the others, but I did that with intention. There'll be a lot going on in the next chapter so I didn't want to give too much away in this one. Not sure when I'll have it up, but trust me it'll definitely be worth the wait (: Also, if anyone happens to be confused about anything that's going on then please feel free to express such in the comments and I'll get back to you when I can.