Chapter 36: Landslide

Quick Author's Note: Hey guys, while you're reading feel free to listen to the song in the sidebar. It's called Landslide and this is the Boyce Avenue version, originally by Fleetwood Mac. It's mentioned in this chapter as well as the chapter's title. But seriously, it's amazing song. That'll be all, enjoy the chapter! xx

(Louis' POV)

When I first woke up, I didn't remember much of the previous evening. Bits and pieces came together as my strength reappeared, but I still needed some clarification from the doctors that soon were constantly around me. When they told me Emma had shot me, I actually laughed. I remembered Emma holding the gun and being completely calm, when in reality I should have been the exact opposite due to Emma's history with firearms: none.

But when they told me her father was killed, I was shocked. I had no recollection of him actually doing anything, but they explained that it most likely happened after she fired the shot. Good thing was that it was not her who killed him; the police arrived some time after, having a trace on Emma's dad to our hotel and finding out that his daughter was staying here. Of course they were too late for me, but they saved Emma. That was the most important thing.

Now all her struggles were over. We could actually be happy. I believe that was the only thing that helped me fight through the pain for the past few hours. Even if it was just a bullet in my stomach, it sure hurt like hell. But imagining me with her, actually not having to worry about anything, just made me want to wake up faster and thus took away the pain. Waking up I knew that surely every day I was around Emma would be joyful and painless, no matter what.

But when she came in to see me, the pain that had disappeared suddenly came back. Pain was still evident on her face and all around her. Of course she should be after a night like that, but knowing that I was okay and her problems were over should make her feel better eventually. Talking to her, however, just made me more worried that she was in fact more afraid than ever. I couldn't process exactly why, but I knew I had to do something when I got out of this stupid place.

Maybe we could go somewhere, alone. A long deserved holiday, perhaps in Hawaii or Italy. Just to get away from the publicity and the band would be enough to make her feel a bit better, I'm sure of it. Then maybe we could go home, visit with our families. Eventually we would have to for her father's funeral, but I'd rather plan the fun trip first.

Instead of sleeping like she said I should do, I decided to check out plane tickets online, seeing exactly when and where we could go. It did of course depend on when I healed and returned to full strength, but hopefully the idea of actually getting to spend up to a week or so with Emma alone would quicken the process.

I was just about to buy two tickets to the Bahamas when the door to the room opened and my mum poked her head in, smiling softly and almost sympathetically. She had come in when I first woke up and we talked for quite a while, but now, hours later, she looked much more tired, but also relaxed. She slowly opened the door wider as I motioned for her to come in. I set my phone down and gave her my full attention when she sat down next to me.

"How are you feeling?" she whispered, stroking my hair. "Alright. Somewhat better, actually." I smiled and her eyes widened a small bit. "Really? Do you have any idea why?" she asked, now moving her small hands to my own left one, grabbing it softly. "I talked to Emma. She was pretty upset but then when she left I got the idea to take her on a little holiday. I'm about to buy some tickets actually." I smiled and to my surprise, my mothers small smile instantly dropped and she looked away for a moment, slowly turning her head back to me.

"Louis, that's not a good idea; see, she's-"

"No mum, it is. It may not fix everything, but it will at least relax her. I need it too. It's good for us both." I reasoned but she simply shook her head. "Louis you don't understand, honey." she sighed. "I do. I understand her better than anyone. Trust me, this is good. I don't care if I'm still healing or if we've got appearances coming up, I'll get better and the fans should understand. It's going to work out." I persisted. Everyone always did this to me, but I had to prove to them that I could actually fix things. So what if I'm only 22? Age shouldn't matter; I can fix things and I will fix things. I'm in a world famous boyband for God sakes, I think I can at least try and make the world a bit better, even if it just is for one person. Though, of all the people, she deserves it the most. This isn't for me, it never has been. It's always been for my family, and Emma is definitely a big part of my family.