Chapter 44: Upcoming Battle

Chapter 44
Upcoming Battle

Entering the Great Alpha's room without knocking, as soon as he sees me, he tips his head up, his hand holding a pen and scribbling on a piece of paper. Papers are scattered across his wooden oak desk, the lamp near the edge, still on. I never peg the Great Alpha so messy when it comes to his work, but then again, I can't really blame him since he has a lot of jobs to do. The last time he had been a mess when he thought he really lost his mate when he rejected him.

His hair is a big ball of mess, sticking up in every direction. He looks tired, as if he has been awake for more than a day. He leans back, pushing his hair backwards as he heaves a sigh. I stand to the side, watching him be frustrated at everything.

"How are you and your mate?" He asks, even his voice sounds tired.

Taking a seat across from him, I smile up at him. "We're doing great. We're happy." I simply say. "Though he didn't take the news about us coming back to the Spirit Realm to join the fight, but it has been handled. We're fine."

Cloud nods, having a distant look in his eyes as he stares at me. "That's good to hear." He leans forward, placing his clasped hands on the table and looking right at me in the eyes. "Your patrol later; have the others do it for you, or Damien. Before we leave, we need this place secured. The guests that we have, Dylan and Shawn, make sure they are doing fine. I haven't had the time to visit them. As you can see, I'm quite busy with these papers."

Ever since they have been freed from the prison they were living in, the leader of the Zodiac people took no time to bring his lover here on Earth, in hopes of Shawn being tended by the best healers. Beige, the pack's most powerful healer, is doing her best to heal Shawn. In no time, Shawn will wake up and he'll be good as new.

"The Queen of the Shamans have sent a lot of her people in the Spirit Realm," Cloud continues, his voice laced with irritation. He clearly doesn't like what's happening. Of course, I don't like what's happening as well. It seems like this has no end at all, but we just need to keep fighting and fighting until this is all done. It also seems like we still have a long way to go. "The others are joining. The Pixies, the Enchanters, Magus... The Zodiac people are yet to be alerted, and I know the Guardian of the Zodiac will join them in this matter."

Will this all end?

This chaos and havoc?

"Léandre will alert the Angels Association regarding this," he continues, walking, his hands now clasped behind his back as he lets out a sigh. "We need to get there as soon as possible. And the possible time is around noon. We still need to secure the Pack Land. I'm leaving Kieran and the other Alphas here just so they can protect everyone and manage the place."

"Dave will join us," I state, watching his back tense as he looks at me, tilting his head. "He insisted. I talked to him this morning, after Damien delivered the news to me. I didn't even know why they were in my house." Despite the situation, I let out a chuckle.

My best buddy grins, chuckling along with me. "Yeah, I sent them there. Told them not to be scared at you and since it was my command, they didn't really question me. Plus, Kieran wanted to talk to his brother."

"Well, after that, they left already, but Kieran talked to me about trusting to leave Dave on me," I admit, rubbing the back of my neck, feeling awkward all of a sudden. "After all that I have put him through, you know, I thought that he'd not let Dave get with me. But you know what, he told me that he'd help me get my mate."

"That's who Kieran is," Cloud says, smiling dreamily, probably imagining his mate. "My mate who has a golden heart." He says dazedly, his index finger trailing across his bottom lip and I roll my eyes at him. As if waking up out of his trance, he shakes his head and snaps his fingers at me. "Come on, come on, we need to discuss the plan. Call out the warriors and the Alphas and Lunas. Meet me up in the center."

After that, Cloud goes back to his paper works scattered on the table. I nod at him, turning on my heels and walking my way out of his office. There's a photo of him and Kieran on a frame, placed on top of the table pushed to the side. Beside it is a red bean bag. There are photos of Cloud and his family pinned on the wall. There are photos of him, Marcus, and me playing and goofing around. Time really flies.

Those memories are embedded in my memory, as if they have just happened yesterday. So much has changed, and it was inevitable. It is inevitable. At those times, we didn't know what future would bring us, and we were thinking of it. Looking over my shoulder just to see Cloud scribbling again on the papers, signing, I see how he, Marcus, and I have matured so much.

Before, our parents were denying us of making decisions just because we lacked of maturity and now, we make our own decisions for the sake of everyone. Being adult is kind of exhausting. When we were kids, we wished to grow up as fast as possible because we thought being adult was cool. But there are most of the times that we wish, in our heart, that we're stuck being kids.

I wish we were kids again.

Just what has been instructed to me by the Great Alpha, I tell everyone, running in my wolf form just to inform the other Alphas to gather into the center of the pack land and they immediately let go of what they are doing to go into the center. Even the Lunas, who are casually hanging around and discussing financial budgets and other stuff.

Léandre, according to Damien, has already flown away just to notify the Angels Association about the situation in the Spirit Realm. Time is running and we need to move faster. I tell Damien to be the leader of the patrols as of the moment while me, Cloud and the others are gone to join the battle. He agrees to it. The duty will keep his mind off from thinking about his mate all day.

As what has been discussed, Cloud meets us up in the center of the pack land. When everyone is gathered at the center, Cloud begins discussing the plan. From appointing others to work here to leaving the place to join the battle. Cloud has instructed the others to follow Damien as he will be the leader of the patrol groups while we're gone. Since Cloud and I will be gone for a while, Damien proposes to do a patrol five time a day – normally, we do three patrols a day, which is quite a good proposal. Cloud agrees, telling Damien to regroup the warriors.

For the others, Cloud instructs the other Alphas to lead the whole pack. Since we will be gone for a while, this will attract the enemies to attack. The Alphas agree to that, saying that they'll handle the things here in the pack land.

Kieran remains silent the whole time. Cloud keeps giving him side glances. I know that Kieran doesn't want his mate going in a battle without him, but he can't stop Cloud since he knows it's his job. Dave is by my side the whole time, not really speaking. I can hear his thoughts swirling inside his head. The conversation he's having with his wolf Peitho.

Draping my arm across his shoulder, he leans into me and rests his head on my chest as we watch Cloud give order to the people.

As soon as Cloud is done discussing the plans, Kieran talks to Cloud and they seem to be arguing. Kieran has a worried look on his face and Cloud just cups his mate's face and plants a long kiss on Kieran's lips. Kieran rests his forehead against Cloud's chest, wrapping his arms around him and shutting his eyes.

"When will we go?" My mate asks me as he looks up at me.

Smiling, I tweak his nose. "After they're done talking."

"I wish everything works out just fine," he breathes, running his fingers across his already disheveled hair. "Kieran is the one affecting here. The fact that I'm also leaving together with you and Cloud will not help him calm down. I know my brother. He's overprotective of the persons he loves."

"Well, he does not need to worry about you because I'm going to protect you."

"Hmf. I love you,"

"I love you, too."