Present Day (Chapter Twenty-Six) Friday

JOEY

"Name"

I stared blankly at the maitre de who asked the question.

"Sir?" he said, and I made myself fix a cheerful smile on my face.

"Joey Fox."

He found me on the list and gave me my table number.  It was far from the head table and I was glad.  I was sure it wouldn't be too long before someone recognized me, but I had no desire to hurry it up.  I hadn't even really planned on coming, but with my future up in the air, I thought facing the past was probably a good idea.  Or at least not a bad one.

And there she was.My past come to life.

Her hair was cut pixie short, and was decorated with tiny jewels.  The bridesmaid's dress was royal purple, cut low, and trimmed with lace.  A teardrop stone hung between her breasts, catching the light from above.

Her face - Beth's face - took my breath away.  In the church, it had cut me like a knife.  Here, it was a little easier, but my heart was still filled with regret.

The arched cheeks, the pointed chin, and the tiny bump in her nose, all of the slight imperfections that I loved - had loved - were on display.  

She didn't turn my way, and I was glad that we would be saving our moment for later.  So I could take this moment for me.

I sipped on a glass of water and watched her as the bride and groom danced, as the best man gave his speech.

My eyes burned with unshed tears.  My throat burned.  I stood to go.

"Is it that hard for you, to see her?"

I paused at the sound of Amber's voice.  

I plastered a sickly smile on my face, grabbed her arm, and dragged her out to the dance floor.  I crushed her to my chest and spoke angrily into her hair as I forced her to sway in time to the music.

"You've got balls."

She struggled to free herself from my grasp. "Joey…"

"No, I mean really. Big. Huge. Balls. I was going to call you and tell you that. Giving my Tucker’s name to your dad so he would give it to mine."

She ignored my accusation. 

"Why didn't you call me?" she asked instead.

"I didn't want to give you too much credit," I replied. "After all, you might've got things rolling, but it was my dad who sealed the deal."

"I just want what's best for you. I'm sure your dad feels the same way."

"Jesus. You really think you know what's best for me?"

A sharp pain shot through my toes, and I realized Amber had dug her spiked heel into my foot.  My grip loosened automatically.  She squirmed out of my grasp and put herself at arm's length, scrutinizing my face. 

"Right now, you look like you could use a drink, Joey."

"I see. Is that what's best for me? Or was it an insult?" I replied. "Because you can do better."

"It was just an observation."

I laughed humourlessly. "If it was good observation, you would've said I look like I could use a few drinks. And a good night's sleep. And a week's worth of re-dos."

"I'm surprised to see you here, actually."

"Why wouldn't I be? My past owns me, remember?"

She looked momentarily taken aback, but recovered quickly. "Why aren't you with Tucker?"

"Did you not hear anything I just said? You got your way. Tucker and I aren't…whatever we were anymore. She finally saw me for what an ass I am. I'm just here to face my demons."

Amber frowned. "Then who's she here with?"

I froze. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, if she isn't here with you…" She nodded her head toward the other side of the room, and I spun us so that I was facing that direction.

Tucker stood across the room with her back to us.  A red dress outlined the curves of her body in a way that made my heartbeat quicken.  Her hair was scooped into a loose bun at the nape of her neck, exposing the soft skin there.  A man in horn-rimmed glasses and a grey suit paused beside her, whispered in her ear, then coaxed her onto the dance floor.

God. She was with Mark. This was their date. 

Tucker hesitated for just a moment, then wrapped her arms around his neck.

Jealousy, white hot, made me take an involuntary step toward her, stumbling over Amber in the process.

She grabbed my elbow. "You're going over there?"

I shook her off. "Of course I am."

I got halfway across the room before a gentle hand touched my hand and a familiar scent assaulted my nose.

"Joey." Beth's voice stopped me dead in my tracks.

Slowly, I turned my gaze down to face the liquid, blue eyes that were once my reason for living.

"Do we have time to talk?" she asked.

I looked from her to Tucker, then shook my head. “I have someone else to talk to.”