Chapter 71

Emma

I turn to face him, the French work in front of me a distant memory as I take him in.

His expression is so inviting and calm. His hair pushed back out of his face, green eyes staring back into mine.

I can almost feel him pleading for me to open up and I will, just not in the way he want's me to but the concern I have at the moment takes top priority.

"So you're really coming this weekend?" I practically blurt out for the millionth time this week.

I've been going overboard with the constant questioning about it but I can't seem to shake the feeling like I'm pushing him into something he doesn't want to do. Not that I could do that but still.

"Yes Em," he smiles at me, the brightest most reassuring smile he could give me at the moment.

It's perfect.

"I don't know how many times I have to tell you. I'll be there" finishing with a soft kiss on my cheek. Luckily he's not annoyed like I would probably be if the roles were reversed.

I really don't deserve him, not one bit.

"Fine, I just ask because..."

"Em, babe you're..."

"...I don't want to force you into anything..."

"...not forcing me into anything."

"...and she's going to be there as well and I..." I trail off realizing that we've been talking over one another.

"Em you're my girlfriend. I'm not gonna miss your game. Ex girlfriends be damned." I chuckle at his comically dramatic comment as he moves a strand of hair behind my ear.

He does this a lot. It's a tender gesture that I love way too. "Plus, I love to watch you ride."

"But Jess..." I hate that I keep bringing her up, hell I hate uttering her name, but she and him have history and I hate that fact and the niggling feeling that there is still something there between them.

It's irrational I know but... I just can't help it.

"Emma. I'm not going to let some ex keep me from supporting you. Wouldn't miss if for the world. Honest."

My heart literally explodes at his words, my whole body feels like goo.

God he's turning me into such a sap.

"Thank you." I whisper at him, suddenly intolerably bashful.

"I'm just an awesome boyfriend that way" he says in that cheeky voice of his, dimples popping out in full glory.

"Ah stroking your ego I see." Playfully pushing him away, expelling the close proximity we found ourselves in just a moment ago.

Now all that's settled, I turn to get back to the school work strewn across the desk but he doesn't let me.

"Oh come on, I like you too." He teases while leaning in closer, his breath hitting my neck as his large hand rests on my knee.

"Well that's thoughtful."

He's lightning the emotional mood and I'm thankful for that. I am so much more happy now that Harry is going to be there this weekend, no matter how sarcastic I'm being at the moment.

I'm way too stressed about the whole thing. It's the first game against Cambridge and the first big polo match with Jess.

Ugh Jess. She's already been bugging me about how long she's going to play like she's entitled to more riding time or something. I can't blame her, I guess she's right in worrying. If I get my way it won't be long.