Chapter Eighteen

Bang!

A scream died away on the lips of Ginny.  She felt a pang of heat graze her shoulder.  She peeked her eyes open, unsure of what had just happened. She wasn't dead. At least...she didn't think she was.  Ginny saw Stephen had pinned Lady Emily pinned to the wall and the gun had skidded across the floor.

"Get the gun!" Stephen shouted to her. "Quick, before the other men come!"

Ginny scrambled forward, stumbling as her vision became clouded with black spots.  She pushed past the pain and snatched up the gun.  She tossed it to Stephen, holding her arm in pain as she did so.  He fumbled by managed to somehow catch it and point it at Lady Emily's head.  Just then, a group of men with pistols broke through the door.  Stephen pulled Lady Emily against him, making a show of the pistol that was resting against her forehead.

"Stop or I'll shoot!" he growled.

The men looked hesitant, looking between Ginny and Lady Emily.  She struggled against his hold, "Let me go!"

He clicked the bullet into place, causing her to freeze, "I'm not afraid to shoot.  Don't test my patience.  I came here to get Ginny and I plan to leave with her."

"Fine, take her then."

"You're coming as well."

"No"Lady Emily screeched.  She kicked and struggled. "Men, kill that little witch!  I want her dead!"

The men glanced at each other uneasily.  A man with red curls and a shadow of a beard stepped forward, "Lady Emily, perhaps we shouldn't.  I cannot allow you to get hurt."

"I don't care!  Just shoot!" she screamed.

The man raised his hands in surrender, "Just take the girl and Lady Emily. But don't hurt anyone.  I can't face the wrath of her father.  If she's killed...I'll lose everything."

"You coward!" Lady Emily sneered.

Stephen yanked on her, pulling her towards the door.  Ginny scrambled after him, not wanting to be left behind.  Stephen kept his grip tight on Emily, but he kept his eyes on her.  He looked worried, "Can you make it outside?  The police should be waiting outside to help. And Kitty's downstairs."

At the sound of the word police, the other men hurriedly scrambled from the room, not wanting to get caught up in the mess.  Stephen glared at each of them, but then returned his focus to his wife.

"Yes." she said, biting her lip in pain, clutching her shoulder.

Kitty was waiting at the top of the stairs, covering her mouth. When he saw only Ginny's shoulder was injured, she tried to gather herself, "The police are 'ere. Oi'll 'elp ye git down them stairs m'lady. Careful now."

Ginny smiled at her friend gratefully, "Thank you."
Once they reached the bottom, Stephen kicked open the door and shoved Lady Emily outside towards the police that were waiting outside for them, "Here is Lady Emily."

"We'll be taking her down to the station.  Does your wife need a ride to the hospital?" the police captain asked as they loaded Lady Emily into the back of the police coach. 

"Yes." Stephen nodded, scooping Ginny up into his arms. "She was hit with a bullet and it needs to be removed."

Ginny couldn't hear the rest of his conversation because she had already passed out from the pain.

.......................................................

Ginny groaned, the ache in her shoulder returning.  What had happened?  She tried to sit up, but a hand steadied her, forcing her to lie back down.  Ginny complied.

"Easy there m'lady." Kitty said. "Ye took a rough hit. Lucky ta be alive ye are."

"Stephen?" Ginny called out, reaching out her hand.

"Right here, love." a hand grasped hers.

She flinched in pain, "Where am I?" There wasn't a reply. Ginny squeezed his hand. "Stephen?"

"At the hospital. They have to take out the bullet in your shoulder." he explained.

Ginny gulped, fear filling her.  She squeezed her eyes shut and whispered, "Okay.  But...promise you won't leave my side. You either, Kitty."

She felt his hand brush away a piece of hair on her forehead,"Of course I'll stay. We're both here for you, love."

She nodded and accepted the whiskey the surgeon gave her.  She grimaced at the burning sensation in her throat and could only hope it would take away the pain in her shoulder.  The surgeon readied his instruments and Ginny took a deep breath.

........................................................

"Are you feeling okay?" Ginny heard someone ask.

Her eyes fluttered open and she saw Stephen.  She held her head.  What time was it?  The day before had been a blur.  All she remembered was the gun and the bullet and Lady Emily...she shivered. Stephen peered into her face, his eyes growing concerned, "Ginny?"

She smiled weakly. "I'm fine.  My shoulder only aches a little bit."

"I'll have Miss Kitty get you some ice." he quickly stood up to leave.

"No!" she grabbed his hand. "Just stay here with me."

He sat down uneasily, as if unsure, "It would only take me a moment to have her get you something."

"I don't need anything." She said.  Ginny intertwined their fingers. "What happened to Lady Emily?"

Stephen sat there in silence.  Ginny wasn't even sure he would answer her question. He seemed hesitant to speak about her.  He cleared his throat, "She was arrested last night.  For attempted murder."

"Oh. I can't believe she had even tried to..."Ginny gulped.  What would have been the outcome if Stephen hadn't been there to stop her?  She would probably be dead.

Stephen picked up her hand and kissed it softly, fear filling his eyes, "I couldn't bear losing you.  I don't know what I would have done-"

"Shhh...hey it's okay," Ginny reached up and stroked his hair reassuringly. "I'm still here."

"Thank God for that." Stephen kissed her fingers.  He looked up at her. "You will still have to speak to the police.  They need a statement from you."

"Alright.  I don't mind."

"And once you recover, we have a ball to attend.  We have to get you a ball gown soon." he explained.

"Of course." Ginny nodded, her mood dropping slightly.

A ball.  She hated balls.  They were always busy and full of people and she would have to socialize.  Ginny shivered at the thought and inwardly groaned.  Stephen smiled and as if reading her thoughts, said, "I don't like social events much either, but I want you to meet my father."

"You father?" Ginny asked in surprise.

"Yes.  I do have one, you know." Stephen teased.

She gigggled. "Yes, I know.  I just..." she suddenly grew serious. "I thought maybe both of your parents were dead.  You never speak of them."

"My mother is dead." He said solemnly.  Ginny rubbed his arm in comfort.  He smiled. "But my father is healthy and alive.  We haven't exactly been on a good note for the past few years though....I hope to change that."

"Why now?" she asked curiously.

Stephen tilted his head, thinking, "You've made me see things in a different light, Ginny.  That's why."

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved

Sorry for the short chapter after so many long ones! I've been terribly busy and was struggling to get something in for you guys! Annyywaayyysss...thanks for the support! I can't believe how many reads this has now! It's all thanks to you!

-Rosanna